(Closed) 7-8 day Hawaiian Honeymoon in July. Kauai, Maui, or BOTH?

posted 5 years ago in Honeymoons
  • poll: Kauai, Maui, or Kauai & Maui?
    Kauai : (7 votes)
    32 %
    Maui : (5 votes)
    23 %
    BOTH Kauai & Maui : (10 votes)
    45 %
  • Post # 3
    83 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

I absolutely vote for Kauai! It is the least industrial of the islands and is perfect for relaxing. I love to shop as well and I had a great time shopping in Kauai! They had mainly small local stores, so the items you find are more unique.

Kauai doesn’t have an active volcano, but they do have the Napali Coast which is a must see! Also, you can take a helicopter tour of the island and actually go into the dormant volcano crater. It is pretty amazing! Most of the time we did not have a schedule for the day, the only time we did was when we were doing big activites like a boat ride and helicopter ride. 

Also, I personally wouldn’t try and do both islands in that amount of time. I was on Kauai for 12 days, and I still feel like it wasn’t enough time!

Post # 4
    160 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: July 1997

Kauai is really peaceful and beautiful.  We went for our 10th and spent a week there.  We did got to Maui for a day trip – you can fly over in the morning, rent a car and see the sights, then hop on a plane later that night.  It was perfect!

Post # 6
    505 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: July 2013

Just so you know for your planning, Maui does not have an active volcano either. Haleakala is the volcano on Maui and is BEAUTIFUL but it is not active. The Big Island is the place to go to see active. Have so much fun!

Post # 8
    437 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2013

(I’ll preface this by saying i didn’t read every single response, but did read your question – sorry, pressed for time).

I’ve spent a lot of time on Kauai.  It is GORGEOUS!  7 days isn’t enough, and I think you’d be sad to leave it after just a few to go to Mauai!  On our most recent trip we were there for 2 weeks, and thought about island hopping, but in the end (for us) it was more relaxing to stay on Kauai, and we never ran out of things to do…  On your list, the only things Kauai wouldn’t be great for are shopping (not that there isn’t ANY shopping, but it’s not great.  I’m guessing it’s not world-class on Maui either…) and volcanoes.  The hiking is some of the best in the world!  

Good luck, have fun, you can’t lose either way!

Post # 9
    14418 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2011

If you want to experience as much as possible, you could do both.  It really depends on your travel style.  I did 3 islands in a 10 day trip once, and 2 islands on another 10 day trip.  The first trip was planned out to make sure everything fit, and the second had more down time.  Kauai is a very small island and you can going around the whole thing in a day with stops along the sites and then spend another day in Waimea Canyon.  We spent 3 nights there, and while we could have stayed longer, I felt like we got around to a lot of it and had a good experience.  Pick up the “Revealed series”.  There is a tip in there on a short hike/walk down to Wailua Falls, that has been closed, but still doable (at least as of 2009 when I went) that gets you to the bottom of the falls that was one of our highlights of Kauai.  I wasn’t as crazy about Maui, but Haleakela was nice.  If I had to pick just one, I’d go with Kauai.

Post # 10
    118 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: August 2013

My suggestion is to visit both Kauai and Maui.  I island hopped in 2010, Oahu, Kauai, and Maui.  I would completely skip Oahu if I ever go again.  You’ll need to rent a car on both islands as there is much to do and see.  You won’t want to worry about finding transportation or relying on anyone.

Kauai is absolutely breathtaking!  It is full of lush, green, tropical candor.  It was so serene and tranquil I never wanted to leave.  There are waterfalls galore, caves, a lighthouse, and my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE, the Na Pali Coast.  We took helicopter ride over the Na Pali Coast and it was something I will never forget.  If you go to Kauai please put this on your “MUST DO” list.  If you haven’t heard of it just type it into Google and you’ll understand.  You also should visit the Hanalei Valley Overlook.  It is so beautiful it looks like it could be fake. 

If you go to Maui you have to rent a car and drive to Hana.  It is an extremely long drive because you are literally driving along cliffs.  In some spots you can only go 5 mph.  That’s why it takes so long.  There is a fabulous black sand beach that you could visit.  We didn’t visit the volcano but I wish we would have.  There are a lot of scenic overlooks that you can pull over to take pictures at along the way and tons of waterfalls.  In Maui, you should also take a Whale Watching tour.  Humpback whales migrate to Hawaii.  We took a tour and saw numerous whales.  They were very active and it made for incredible pictures.

My advice is, if you have never been to Hawaii before, go to both islands so you get the full experience.  I would be happy to share more information or pictures with you if you’d like, just PM me. 

I hope this helped 🙂

Post # 11
    369 posts
    Helper bee

I’m just partial to Kauai, LOL.

Post # 13
    369 posts
    Helper bee

@Skandyg:  I’ve found the revealed books are really good for what to see and stay; not as much for the food (depending). The TripAdvisor forums are much more helpful with that and the folks are friendly 

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g29218-i304-Kauai_Hawaii.html

It’s definitely a place I see as more homey & somewhere we’d like to return multiple times in the future (which, we never do for anywhere else!) I think Kauai and Big Island would be 2 great ones to check out!

@smrlovingrl:  YES, the helicopter ride was amazing!!! Totally worth the splurge.

The topic ‘7-8 day Hawaiian Honeymoon in July. Kauai, Maui, or BOTH?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors