(Closed) 7 Crippling Parenting Behaviors That Keep Children From Growing Into Leaders

posted 4 years ago in Parenting
Post # 3
9145 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 2013 - St. Augustine Beach, FL

I love this article!  Thanks for posting.

Post # 4
6015 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: March 2012

Great article!

Post # 6
2687 posts
Sugar bee

Thanks for sharing!  The points made in the article are really great.  My FI and I were actually talking about the first point a few days ago.  My parents refused to let me play sports because of the possibility of getting hurt and I think that caused issues with my development.  I was chubby, lazy, and I didn’t really work well in teams, and it took years of work to undo those behaviors.  FI and I agree that we aren’t making that mistake if we have kids.

Post # 8
7194 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2010

I like the article and mostly agree with it, but I worry about the idea that we are holding kids back from being “leaders”. Not all kids (people) are meant to be leaders. Not everyone can lead. I think that the article is great about just parenting in general.

Post # 9
714 posts
Busy bee

@TwoStatesBride:  I agree with the author. Very well written. 

Post # 11
7194 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2010

If that is the intention, then if course that makes sense. we should not bubble wrap them. 

Post # 12
5480 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

Yes.  Yes.  Absolutely.  

Post # 14
3341 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2013 - Rhode Island

Overall, I like it.  But I’m not sure I agree with #3.

My father is very realistic.  I don’t feel like he doesn’t live in reality when it comes to knowing my competencies and limits.  He’s my biggest advocate and cheerleader.  When I need a pep talk, my dad will be the first one to tell me how smart, beautiful, and capable I am.  Sometimes I really need the self-esteem boost to psych me up.  It definitely has not caused me to become a liar and a cheater.

#4-6 are gold!  Although again, I disagree with not sharing stories regarding addiction.  Addiction is a disease, and I think that kids should be educated on it just like they are educated about chicken pox, AIDS, and obesity.

Post # 15
596 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2014

I read this yesterday and LOVED IT!

Post # 16
2269 posts
Buzzing bee

I completely agree with this article.

The topic ‘7 Crippling Parenting Behaviors That Keep Children From Growing Into Leaders’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors