(Closed) 7 Days and We’ve Missed Things!

posted 8 years ago in September 2010
Post # 3
558 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

Oh no! I am so sorry!

But, could you still have your wedding and count that as your “emotional” wedding day and get married by the JOP later?

Or could your mom go get your birth certificate for you?

Post # 4
4520 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

Ugh, I’m sorry that happened, but don’t panic. You’ll still have your ceremony, and everything will go exactly the way it would with or without the license, right? I think that saying your vows in front of your family and friends is more meaningful than the formality of signing a marriage license, anyway. So your wedding anniversary date will still be your wedding date, as far as I’m concerned! Now you’ll just have a funny story to tell people about your wedding! 

Post # 5
5498 posts
Bee Keeper

oh no!!! Is there anyway your Mom could get it for you or something?

Post # 6
4001 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

Oh crap!  I’m so sorry!  Can your Mother get it for you?  Or can she only do that if you’re a minor?  If she can, maybe you can meet her half way?  Or can you take the day off and do this?  I think this counts as an emergency so your office/boss should hopefully allow for the time off!  Omg, keep us posted.

Post # 7
4123 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

Do you HAVE to have it? We can use an ID “such as a driver’s license, military I.D., or a certified copy of a birth certificate.” 

Or is there a way to fax or something? Talk to the Marriage Clerk and your officiant ASAP. I’ve heard officiants say they can’t even stand there unless a valid license is physically present. But, I’m sure each state is different… 

There’s gotta be a way! I think today needs to be a sick day!

Post # 8
10851 posts
Sugar Beekeeper

Ack! Oh honey!!!! Ummm develop a cough really fast or uncontrollable nausea and leave work!

Post # 9
4123 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

Oh dear, you do need it, I just looked it up. WOW! They require a LOT of you! We only pay $30 (CASH Only! Lol) and just need 1 form of valid ID… 

I def. say take the day of work 🙁

Post # 10
2186 posts
Buzzing bee

wow – huge bummer – seriously its worth taking the day off work to get this squared away – or otherwise its not a huge deal though – lots of folks do it. im with KLP though – thank goodness for VA – $30 and a flash of ID and oath swear and we are golden.

Post # 11
639 posts
Busy bee

http://www.ci.mil.wi.us/ObtainInPerson3180.htm

Here is info ^ on getting a certified birth certificate in Milwaukee.  You can get it same day by going in person – you don’t have to go within the county you were born – a certified birth certificate issued by the state will work as well.  Maybe you can get this over your lunch and then you and your Fiance can go apply for the marriage license this afternoon?  

good luck!!

Post # 12
1 posts
Wannabee

I’m so sorry, but I agree, don’t panic!    You actually could probably get your marriage license and birth certificate from the same place if your fiance wants to go with you. Then you could possibly even work on last minute details in the car as one of you drives.   At least it’s a good story.    Also, I agree with @stillme, standing up in front of friends and family is much more meaningful than a peace of paper the state gives you.    If you get the license after, your wedding day will be no less meaningful. 

Post # 13
2867 posts
Sugar bee

@KLP2010: Yeah their requirements are crazy. We only needed Drivers Licenses and $38 (cash OR check) 🙂

Post # 14
1001 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

Rabbit, I’m in Milwaukee and I had a total marriage license snafu, too!  We applied for it two weeks in advance, so no problem there.  I was going to pick it up on a Thursday during lunch, but then I was like “oh, I’ll just go tomorrow…” and the courthouse was CLOSED.  Furlough day!!  We had to call the county clerk at home and beg him to come to the courthouse and give us our license.  It was crazy. 

Even though you won’t be legally married, it’ll still be gorgeous and special.  Then you can just make it official afterwards!

Post # 15
403 posts
Helper bee

We live out of state but are getting married in Waukesha County.  We weren’t going to be in town early enough to allow for the waiting period and so they’re allowing us to pay an extra fee and just get our license the day we go in to the office.  Perhaps if you call they will be able to work something out for you. 

Post # 16
5498 posts
Bee Keeper

Update?!

The topic ‘7 Days and We’ve Missed Things!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors