(Closed) 7 days in Maui – what are the "musts" ?

posted 6 years ago in Travel
Post # 18
117 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

@MissGeeBee:  Do the road to hana backwards! My fi and I did this and it was great, we didn’t get stuck behind any of the buses of people or traffic. Plus I think doing it backawards you save the best for last (the rainforest and waterfalls).

Post # 19
207 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: January 2014

@MissGeeBee:  I’m going Maui in the beginning of April too, for our honeymoon. We’re doing all the things that you mentioned too and we’re staying by Kaanapali beach too! Have you considered whale watching? Also, we’re doing the Old Lahaina Luau. I hear it’s the best one!

Post # 20
83 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

You are on your way to an AMAZING honeymoon

Aloha mixed plate in old Lahaina has the BEST pulled pork – you will crave it when you’re long gone

Biking Haleakala is a must – we used http://www.bikemaui.com. We really like this company because you could bike down at your own pace (there were other companies on the road and they were going SO fast – it would’ve freaked me out to be forced to go that fast!)

A Luau is a MUST – I would suggest either The Feast at Lele (this is the one we went to and it’s more geared towards couples and takes you on a “tour” of the pacific islands) or Old Lahaina Luau (but make sure you make reservations far in advance!!)

Oh! And take LOTS of pictures and have a BLAST

Post # 21
1384 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

@jbyrdy:  At which resort did you stay? That view is beautiful!

Post # 22
159 posts
Blushing bee

When you do the Road to Hana keep your eyes open and stop! I know so many people who say it sucked and when I ask if they stopped they say “not really”. In one of the curves of the road we just happened to look down and saw people swimming in this pool. So we parked and walked down this path to the most beautiful and clear fresh water pool, waterfall and all. We also didn’t turn around and go back the way we came, and we’re glad we didn’t. The road gets a little dicey but the views are incredible. Start early because we finished it in the dark and I was a little freaked out.

We did Flyin’ Hawaii ziplining…it was the best. It’s the longest on Maui and the staff was so much fun.

Go to Makena landing (Turtle Town). We swam with rays and sea turtles there. So amazing.

If you’re in Kihei, stop at Koiso Sushi Bar. It’s a tiny little sushi place in a strip mall. A husband and wife run it. Best sushi we’ve ever had!

Mama’s Fish House in Paia. Pricey but what a meal! Make sure you get the coconut milk and mint drink. To die for!

And try shaved ice. Yum!

Post # 23
471 posts
Helper bee

@MissGeeBee:  

@iwillmonogramEVERYTHING:  

@Imabigkidnow:  

Argh you guys are making me so excited – my fiance and I leave for Maui on Saturday! We are going for a week, it’s a ‘work’ convention thing but that will be minimal time (a couple of seminars in the mornings and a few dinners) but the rest of the time to ourselves. We are staying at the Four Seasons. I have been reading TripAdvisor but I’m checking out all the stuff recommended in this thread! So excited!!

Post # 24
471 posts
Helper bee

@Molly2014:  How do you do the road backwards? 

Post # 25
2490 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2018

We recently got back from our honeymoon in Maui and I loved it! It wasn’t our first time to Hawaii but our first time on Maui and it was even more beautiful than I imagined!

Definitely go to Aloha Mixed Plate in Lahaina, their food (especially breakfast) is amazing and super cheap!

Rent a convertible Jeep and drive around the island. We did this for an entire day and it was one of the best days of our trip! It was just the two of us, stopping whenever we felt like it, experiencing the local culture and just being together.

We drove all away around from the RTH and loved the unpaved, narrow roads. The views were spectacular! We also drove the Kahekili Highway (Highway 340)… definitely NOT for the faint of heart and I’m not sure I would recommend it.

We also did the RTH backwards and are super happy we decided to do it that way.

If you guys golf, the Plantation Course is amazing and the views are out of this world. So is the real estate on the course.

Hula Grill has really, really good mai tais as well as crab won tons. Dukes also has the same

If you have a small collapsible cooler, take it with you. Fill it up with ice from your hotel and grab some drinks and snacks and spend an entire day at the beach. Big Beach is great, but doesn’t have any facilities (the bathrooms are porta potties). Other great beaches are Ka’anapali and Kihei.

For dinner, the dining room at Lahaina Grill is great!

Have a great time, I am so, so jealous!!! We don’t get to back to HI for another 11 months!

Post # 26
2167 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

@Molly2014:  Isn’t the drive back down essentially doing it backwards? In other words, doesn’t everybody who drives to Hana have to also drive it backwards? Like drove up…but we also drove back down.

Post # 27
2490 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2018

@sillysillybee:  You can drive all the way around. You’re not technically supposed to because a lot of rental car contracts forbid it due to unpaved roads, but you it can be done. We did it and the landscape and scenery were incredible, like nothing else on the island, and the road wasn’t bad at all!

Post # 28
2167 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

@orchidaloha:  Oh ok I see! We did it on a Harley Davidson up and back and it was amazing! Love, love, love, love Maui.

Post # 29
519 posts
Busy bee

@MissGeeBee:  Posting to follow, would love to gather some info for a possible trip one day. Sounds beautiful!

Post # 30
4495 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

@jbyrdy:  +1 on The Feast at Lele. We did this luau a few years ago and we LOVED it. We’re going back in September and already have it reserved again.

I think in April the whales are still around so I’d go whale watching. We went in Alaska one year and it was amazing. We were on a small boat and there was a pod of orcas with their babies less than a foot from us almost the entire time. Unfortunately we’ve never been to Hawaii during whale season.

kayaking/snorkeling in Turtle Town!

Post # 31
83 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

@CestTresJolie14:  We stayed at the Sheraton at the Black Rock in Kaanapali. It was AMAZING

The topic ‘7 days in Maui – what are the "musts" ?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors