(Closed) 7 minutes on the elliptical

posted 7 years ago in Fitness
Post # 3
7695 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2010

Dont worry, the other day my husband and I tried to run like 3/4 mile together and after just a few minutes, I was out of breath and so was he! We are just getting older I think ๐Ÿ™

Post # 4
1509 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

That’s ok!  I am a former varsity athlete from a Division 1 college and I can tell you from experience that you need to start slow and build up.  Have you thought of using the bike instead of the elliptical?  The elliptical isn’t always a natural way for running and you can hurt yourself that way.  Try a stationary bike and playing with the resistence.  When you start building up your cardio ability and your muscle strength, get off the bike, get outside and start walking.  Walking is awesome for your whole body.  Once you start getting in 45 minute power walking sessions, try jogging!  

Just remember, you have to start from somewhere.  

Another recommendation is to start a fitness journal.  Each time you workout, enter the date, time, what you did, how long you did it for, HOW YOU FELT (this is very important), and one reason why you are glad you did the workout (I find this helps when you are not motivated… read through your old reasons when you just don’t feel like doing it and that may give you the extra oomph you need).

Good luck! 

Post # 5
1723 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

@MrsLongcoatPeacoat:  Great job for starting!!! You’re really supposed to start at 5 minutes and build from there so that’s great!  One tip is put your feet flat on the elliptical pedal.  I tend to stand on my toes without even realizing it and that can make your foot cramp.

Post # 6
6830 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

@MrsLongcoatPeacoat: That is a good start what I did before got pregnant did add 30 seconds to a minute every day of use.  It gets easier each time you use it.

Post # 7
1555 posts
Bumble bee

Don’t worry. I did it in 5 minute intervals because I got so winded. ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 8
4336 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

ohhhh…I want an elliptical sooo bad! Fiance and I go running, and we run for like 2 blocks and then we’re like, “omg, I’m so tired, I can’t do it anymore…”

Post # 9
1560 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 2011

I was completely sedentary for YEARS. Finally my belly started to catch up with me ๐Ÿ˜› I started walking, slowly I got bored with that. So then I used the elliptical, then I did a few work-out videos, now I ran 7 miles on Sunday. I’ve worked my way up, and it’s a constant struggle to convince myself I DO need to work out because I wasn’t a ver active teenager, but now I’m more active in my late 20’s (and don’t have as good of a body as I did, BUT…whatever haha). You can TOTALLY do it. If I can, YOU can!

Post # 10
4887 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

I just started running recently and signed up for a 5k in late September.  Starting any kind of regimen takes patience and most of all, dedication.  Some days I feel like I can run forever and feel amazing, others I start to lose it after like 3/4 mile and am ready to give up.  The important thing is that I’m getting out there and doing it, so good for you for starting – just don’t get discouraged!

Several friends and I have signed up for dailymile.com.  It’s like Facebook but for exercise.  Highly recommended ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 11
2440 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

When I was working out with the elliptical I just started really slow.  No incline and definately a walking pace until I got up to a jogging pace.  Then my elliptical broke and so now I’ve been swimming 5 days a week.

Post # 13
6065 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 2012

Oh, definitely don’t be hard on yourself! I used to be in the WORST shape and got out of breath so quickly.

If you keep at it, you will absolutely get in better shape quicker than you think! Set realistic goals and that will keep you on a slow and steady uphill road. ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 13
6065 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 2012

sorry dbl post

The topic ‘7 minutes on the elliptical’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors