(Closed) 7 month old puppy recently afraid of men? – advice/reasons?!

posted 4 years ago in Pets
Post # 16
701 posts
Busy bee

View original reply
mooo:  I prefer the terms displacement behaviors or appeasement behaviors. In my training classes (positive reinforcement based) I try to steer clients away from using dominant vs submission because of the implications those terms have and the preconceived notions people come in with.

I agree without video or pictures of the situation this is all conjecture anyways.

Post # 17
144 posts
Blushing bee

View original reply
sparkles1986:  makes sense! I probably still use them since that’s what the private trainers I used to work with used (both positive reinforcement) though I definitely get that that confuses people. It’s awesome that you teach classes. More dog education for owners is always better.

Post # 18
917 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2015 - Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception / Courtyard Marriott Legacy Ballroom

My mom’s dog (King) is scared of men! But he doesn’t do what your dog does – his tail goes down and he kind of cowers before he runs away. From what we know of his background, he might have had bad experiences with a man that helped out his previous owner. It sounds like your dog isn’t as bad as that, so maybe it’s just a phase during puberty like other posters mentioned.

King loves my DH now, though! When we started dating, King was really hesitant and scared of him, but then we started taking him on walks together. After a couple walks, King started wagging his tail whenever DH came around. Now, King is more interested and attached to DH than he is to me

Post # 19
2120 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2015

Wagging a tail doesn’t necessarily mean a dog is happy – it’s just energy. 

The best thing to do is to get him around more men. Use the drawing PP gave and allow your dog time to get used to men. I also agree that puppies do really dumb things and then completely grow out of them with time and effort. I totally recommend getting to some form of puppy class if you haven’t yet. They’re GREAT for socialization (both with dogs and humans!)

Post # 20
701 posts
Busy bee

View original reply
mooo:  Yeah we get a lot of newbie dog owners, so we try to watch how we say things so no one gets confused (it’s not hard for a lot of the first timers, they usually come in knowing nothing).  It is very rewarding, but can be frustrating and heartbreaking sometimes, but we try to do all the good we can.  Luckily a few local vets come to our classes so that helps (sometimes vets can give the worse training advice!!).

The topic ‘7 month old puppy recently afraid of men? – advice/reasons?!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors