(Closed) .70 diamond James Allen halo/diamond alternative

posted 6 years ago in Rings
Post # 2
209 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2015

are you talking about a round diamond or another shape?

If you can afford a .70 and want it to look bigger, a .70 oval in a halo would be a pretty big ring.

I have an amora gem ring and I really like that, but if you want a diamond, the best face up size per carat is an oval.

Post # 4
604 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2016

I have a right hand ring from James Allen. It’s a .74 pear diamond in a double halo. I have a size 9.75 finger and it takes up pretty much all of it. It’s huge. If you’re wanting finger coverage, halos/ elongated stones are definitely the way to go! And James Allen is great. Also, they don’t advertise it, but they can and will work with you on your budget. Tell them what you can afford and go from there. In our case, they ended up dropping the price down a good bit to make it within our price range. You could also always get a 1ct solitaire now in a cheap setting and reset it later. My e ring is just a tad over a carat round brilliant and I feel like I get very decent coverage. Hope this helps! 

PS, I’m a diamond lover but the Amora Gems are stunning!!! If I had to go with a clear stone alternative, that is what I would choose! I also think sapphires and emeralds are super dreamy!

Post # 5
1996 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2016

View original reply
ashlyyelizabeth:  Yes oval looks larger than a round does. I have a pear. I wear a size 7 ring, and my stone is a .80 in a halo. Go to diamdb.com and play with sizes!

Post # 6
209 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2015

View original reply
ashlyyelizabeth:  I have two…one is a stone purchased in February 2015 that was set by James Allen. The other, the three stones and the setting were all purchased from Wink Jones. 

I did have a problem with the stone from February, but BTD more than made it right – they paid to ship my ring to them, unmount the stone, replace the stone with a slightly better stone, and reset/replate/repolish my ring, all in less than a week. I am comfortable buying them as a forever stone based on that experience. There’s no replacement guarantee on a diamond, that’s for sure.

I do have a diamond double halo ring as well. That’s my only natural diamond piece, because I really wanted to go through the process of picking the exact stone I wanted, all the details of the setting, etc. However, that’s laborious and honestly it’s a lot easier to buy Amora Gems – wait for the stone cut/size you want, buy it, set it, done. I am thinking about maybe an AG cushion when the ~6.5mm ones are available again.

It’s certainly a much cheaper hobby than diamonds. My .48 center diamond double halo ring in 18k was $3k. My 3+ ctw amora gem 3 stone was about that price for 6x the carat weight. No arguing there.

I wanted to have one diamond ring, because it was important to me, but there’s nothing wrong with an amora gem if you like them and it lets you get a size you’re comfortable with. Wink carried a ton of setting brands from the regular like roseco/unique all the way to top of the line like Vatche. 

Post # 7
604 posts
Busy bee

Also forgot to mention that when we were shopping for my right hand ring, pear diamonds were A LOT cheaper per carat weight than the other shapes. Pears aren’t for everyone, but you could look into it! It’s going to be my hand down ring to our first child.

Post # 9
604 posts
Busy bee

View original reply
ashlyyelizabeth:  People on the boards seem very happy with their AG’s! I’m sure such would last or you could always replace it with a diamond later in life if that’s what floats your boat. I’d shoot for an AG in a second though! They are super pretty!!! You should do a search on the boards. There’s quite a few pic heavy threads. Good luck!

Post # 10
113 posts
Blushing bee

Definitely go with a halo if you want finger coverage. I started out with a halo, went solitaire, gained weight (diamond shrunk lol) so went back to halo. Makes a world of a difference. 

Post # 11
1706 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

View original reply
ashlyyelizabeth:  Moissanite and amoras are definitely life long stones. That isn’t to say they are impervious to chipping or scratching, but nothing is, period. I have 2 amoras, and a moissy, and a diamond, and a sapphire, and a CZ. 

Moissy and amors are more atomically stable than diamonds, they are tougher (more resistant to chipping), and harder than sapphires, which get handed down by royalty from generation to generation. If longevity is your concern, rest assured, I’ll be handing down my amora pieces to my niblings! Possibly great-great grandkids if we ever decide to have our own and they do the same, etc. 🙂 

Post # 13
87 posts
Worker bee

Size 6.25 finger but this is my 0.70ct set in the James Allen falling edge halo. I absolutely love it! I originally had it set in a single cushion halo but it was too dainty. The falling edge halo added just enough finger coverage for me!

Post # 13
1706 posts
Bumble bee

View original reply
ashlyyelizabeth:  I do indeed! Some from my phone (will post soon), and some I have on my computer, I’ll start with the most unflattering comparison I could find in the stones, and I’ve only seen my moissy OEC look like this with the combination of shade near a tree and surrounded by green/grey walls. 7.5mmish OEC moissy, graded J color, and 8.9mm ish AG OEC, E color. 

Post # 14
1706 posts
Bumble bee

The topic ‘.70 diamond James Allen halo/diamond alternative’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors