(Closed) $7,000 dream gown: Pay up or Pass up?!

posted 6 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
1130 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

Maybe you could try and get a used one or sample at a lower cost? Only you can really say if it’s worth it to you, but there are definitely ways to purchase it for less if you really want the dress.

Post # 5
1854 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

@JacksHammerPow:  If it just came out, in 6 months to a year you bet you’ll be able to buy it used (or perhaps a sample). Places like oncewed.com and preownedweddingdresses.com have great deals! You’ll save TONS. If it’s your dream, make it happen girl!

Post # 7
2295 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

It sounds like you’ve decided you want to get it and just want advice on how to deal with the comments?

If you were asking on if you should get it, I’d say investigate having a replica made by Jasmine’s Bridal. It also depends on what your overall wedding budget it. If your wedding budget is less than $25k, you’re making a MAJOR sacrifice for that dress. I couldn’t do it. If your wedding budget is $80k, it’s probably not a problem.

I’d also say your wedding is still VERY far away, so you have plenty of time to sit on it (which it sounds like you’re doing).

If you do go with it, how to deal with people’s comments…. don’t tell them how much it cost. That’s a rude topic anyway, and if they ask, just tell them “It was definitely a little splurge but I love it so much” and then change the topic.

Post # 8
2100 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

Well it is a very unique dress – not like you are going to find that at a lesser price.

That being said if your budget can handle it – make sure you have tried on lots of designer gowns and that really is what you want.  If you can afford it then buy it.  Dress regret is not a good thing because you will always wonder what if.

Post # 9
2638 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2006

There HAS to be another dress for you. I’m sorry. $7,000 on a piece of clothing that only be worn once by one person (or once by your daughter, if you save it and that’s what she chooses)?! That’s crazy! It’s just crazy, dear. Unless you are so crazy loaded that you don’t even need to think about $7k out the window, don’t do it. You could refurnish half your house for that amount of money.

ETA: Okay that dress is pretty amazing. I’d wait to see if you can get one preowned at least, though. You have time…

Post # 10
2295 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

That dress is definitely unique. I’d hold off to make sure as your wedding vision comes together that it’s still the one.

Post # 12
1562 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

Dresses don’t go down in price once a new line comes out.  Once the price is set, that is its price until it’s discontinued.

But, like PP’s said, if you wait it out, you may be able to find a sample or a preowned gown next year.

My question is, what is your dress budget?  Do you have $7,000 for the dress?  If you feel like this is it and it won’t put you debt to get it, I would go for it.  It is pretty fabulous.

Post # 13
1130 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

@JacksHammerPow:  It’s hard to say, depends on the bridal store. You could ask, but they may not even be able to tell you. You might be able to get a general time frame though! I think preowned is probably a more sure bet, especially given the feathers probably not being in the best shape after 100 women have tried on the dress.

Post # 14
2617 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2012 - Southern California

That dress is very much not “me” haha, but you actually look really great!  I would hold off on buying it for a few months to a year to see if it drops in price, but otherwise, make it happen [if you can & think it’s worth it].

Post # 15
963 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

@daybyday:  +1. It sounds like you don’t have the money for this and honestly a dress is not worth compromising your financial security. Look for it used or even consider a replica. Otherwise, put it out of your head and try on other dress until you find one you like. And for future reference, never try on a dress you can’t afford!

Post # 16
2023 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

My dress was a sample and it has feathers… I didnt think that it was missing much when I bought mine.

A high-end bridal retailer will take very good care of their $7000 samples.  You would be fine buying a sample!

The topic ‘$7,000 dream gown: Pay up or Pass up?!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors