(Closed) $7,000 dream gown: Pay up or Pass up?!

posted 8 years ago in Dress
Post # 137
1245 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

If you are anything like me, you are going to do what you want regardless (or is it irregardless?) of what anybody says.

Post # 138
7769 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2010

I love this dress, in a world full of cookie-cutter, look-a-like gowns, this is so elegant!  I hope you wear it OP, so I can live vicariously through you 🙂

Post # 139
533 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

I responded earlier to the topic, but I just wanted to add a few things.

If it is one of your wedding day priorities, and it would fit into your budget, go for it. (But make sure the Fiance is onboard!) It is about your unique wedding day! It is about YOU. Do what makes you happy, wear it with confidence, and don’t feel any need to defend it. It is your decision, your money, and your wedding. Ultimately, what you spend on your dress really isn’t anyone else’s business!

Oh, and with a bouquet- I don’t know if it would work, but maybe you have a brooch from your grandmother that you could add to the bouquet? That would be gorgeous. 🙂

Post # 140
11231 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2013

View original reply
@BrooklynWife:  I’m willing to bet that some of the posters that wrote things like: “$7K is a ridiculous amount to spend on a dress for a few hours,” would love to be able to walk into a salon like the one you went to and even be able to consider purchasing an expensive dress. They don’t call jealousy the green-eyed monster for nothing! 

Sorry, no. That much money would pay for our entire wedding, pay off my car, go towards a downpayment on a house, go towards my student loans, etc. My dress was $700, and I thought that even that was too much.

OP, it’s starting to grow on me. I still hate whatever is on the bottom (feathers? beads?) probably because I’d pick at them, BUT I’m digging the way they have it off the shoulder on the models with the tie over the shoulder and trailing behind–it looks frumpy with the way you’re wearing it over both shoulders. I also agree with the pp who said that it’s going to look really weird if this isn’t normally how you dress (trendy, not necessarily haute couture, but better than the average person).

HOWEVER. It’ll probably end up looking amazing with your hair and makeup done, maybe with a vintage vibe? I wouldn’t wear a veil with it, because I think it would just look out of place. It’s so-so with the hair and makeup on the models, but with some black liquid liner, a bit of gold or champagne shadow, and a matte red lip, this could really look awesome.

Post # 141
2902 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

I smell jealousy in this thread.

You know what, I hold my breath every time some ‘pedestrian bride’ comes on these boards and posts their boring run of the mill cheap dress. This happens every day but I would never ever come into the thread and say ‘Oh wow. Pass’ or ‘That dress is plain ugly’ That is so so rude. 

Why is it ok for Bee’s to do that because the dress is $7k? Awful. 

Post # 142
2334 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

Accessories!  Now we’re talking.

I second the red lip idea, and also think a brooch bouquet would be too much with that dress.  I picture a small posy of flowers, a la Oscar de la Renta’s recent runway at bridal market:

Maybe a crazy cool headpiece too, incorporating the feathers!  You could attach one of your grandmother’s brooches to it.

Post # 143
2447 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

View original reply
@SpecialSundae:  Dita is F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S!!! Laughing

Post # 144
15038 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

View original reply
@FauxBoho:  Maybe cause this type of “high fashion” just isnt most peoples style it is ‘ugly’ to them and totally not worth 7k.  The people jumping to the jealous conclusion is rediculous and annoying.   An opinion that disagrees with someone does not equate to jealousy just because the item we are talking about is expensive.

Post # 145
2447 posts
Buzzing bee

View original reply
@BooRadley:  Lily of the Valley. Yes! What a great way to pair a traditional flower with a modern dress.

View original reply
@BrooklynWife:  I second a chic little birdcage veil and a red lip. That dress also needs a fierce pair of heels.

Post # 146
182 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: January 2013

totally love it and i think it is worth it, i agree you may look into discount or sample sales. but a dress that I love is the second most important on my wedding day other than marrying a man that I love. 7K is totally worth it for that dress alone, plus you love it and you think this is you!

just saw some mentioning lily of the valley, absolutely adoring match but that is some extra bucks that i dont think is worth it, i may be getting a few stem for my bouquet but they are wayy toooo expensive IMO =)

Post # 147
2188 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: March 2024

The cost of that dress would pay my rent for over a year. It’s a dress for 1 day, after that you’ll get it preserved and never wear it again. I understand it’s your dream dress but $7k is ridiculous but to each her own I guess.

Post # 148
111 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

View original reply
@pinkshoes:  +1!  This whole “jealousy” thing is ridiculous.

Honestly, OP, I’m trying to help you out.  This coming from a person who could afford this dress.  I could buy 20 of these dresses right now and still have money leftover to buy a house. You have over a year to find a dress within your budget.  Your wedding is a special day but you have your whole life ahead of you to pay for.  Plan long-term and for your future.  You never know what will happen in the future and it’s so important to have a hefty-sized savings / investment portfolio, especially before you have kids.  I know too many high income earners who live paycheck-to-paycheck (or close to it) or accumulate bad debt because they don’t live below their means.  If it takes 2 years to buy this dress, it’s not a wise decision.  I’m 29 btw so this isn’t coming from a 50 year old although it sounds like it.

Post # 149
110 posts
Blushing bee

I have no advice about whether or not to buy the dress (I am the world’s most impulsive shopper and can’t provide advice on that topic to anyone), but I can say that I love this dress and think it’s pretty awesome Laughing 

Post # 150
753 posts
Busy bee

If the price is worrying you (and apparantly many other bees “rent, loans, new home…blah blah blah…insert passive aggressive price comparison based on your own financial situation here…blah blah blah”), maybe consider buying it new and re-selling it at half of what you paid afterward? You probably would get more than half, but it’s best to assume HALF is the best you can do so you don’t get your hopes too high on re-sale values. After all, you may never wear it again, and you probably can’t count on any of your (potential) daughters wanting to wear it someday AND being your exactly lovely size?

Post # 151
240 posts
Helper bee

View original reply
@BooRadley:  Agreed.  Keep the flowers small, do not compete with the dress!  I’d also try and do something retro inspired with your hair.  Rolled curls, with deconstructed back courtesy of diane kruger:

The topic ‘$7,000 dream gown: Pay up or Pass up?!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors