(Closed) $7,000 dream gown: Pay up or Pass up?!

posted 8 years ago in Dress
Post # 152
179 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

I’m sorry, I think the attitude of some posters here sucks. An opinion was asked for and given by many – whether you agree with it or not! There should be no place for the “I’m into fashion and thus possess a vastly superior sense of style and if you disagree with my liking for this dress you’re just another dowdy small-town bee” attitude in this community. I also happen to know about fashion, and the first thing you must know is that what is edgy one day is heinous the next – if ‘timeless’ styles remained popular there would be little room for innovation (and sales). And timeless doesn’t have to mean plain btw. as some posters here seem to think.

My personal opinion (what it may count for) is that the bottom half reminds me of one of those furry sweaters popular in the 90’s. I think you may look back on the photos one day and regret the money spent on a dress that is neither elegant nor flattering. HOWEVER if it makes you happy now, buy it. Although I have a feeling that ‘one day’ may be less than a year away and you will end up being one of those brides with dress regret and getting another dress in time for your wedding.

Post # 153
1585 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

a) I struggled to spend $1k on a dress. I get that everyone has a budget but for a dress you’ll wear (hopefully only) once and for 4-8 hours, that is throwing money down the drain. Plus if you decide to resell it it won’t even be worth half that.

b) It’s my own personal opinion, but that dress is UGLY. It looks like a cat or a shredder got to your actual dress and turned it into confetti.

Post # 154
5009 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2012

Okay… If people can be honest about how they feel about this dress, does it mean we can also be honest about other dresses if we think they look awful?

Post # 155
942 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2013

My dream dress was a $9K Badgely Mischka gown that was featured on SYTTD – but I just couldn’t justify wearing it for ONE DAY…when I broke it down, I figured the most I would have it on was 9 hours, that’s ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS an hour or over SIXTEEN DOLLARS per minute minus alternations/accessories – totally killed my enthusiasm for it lol!

Post # 156
240 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

I find it strange that some posters are allowed to give their opinion that this dress looks like a dead muppet, but other posters aren’t allowed to give their opinions that they’re happy to see something really different for once on these boards.   Not sure how the latter could be really more offensive…

Post # 157
251 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

I said I’d spend whatever it took to get the perfect dress and I was lucky, I found one that was £1240 which is about $2000. So I would never judge someone for spending that much money, if you love it and can afford it then go for it.

The dress in question however… I don’t think it’s flattering and I don’t think it will age at all well in photos either, at first I actually thought you were wearing a jumper/cardigan over the dress. There are lots of quirky dresses in fashion at the moment, that’s what fashions for, and I’m sure you could find something a lot more beautiful for you

Post # 158
898 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

View original reply
@JacksHammerPow:  I didn’t read all the responses, but I have some questions.  I think the price of the dress is not all that important….but it becomes very important in the context of overall budget for your wedding.

As long as you are having a lavish wedding, and your guests are being treated to the best food, venue, and decor…and you can afford all of those things, as well as the dress…then why not?

Just don’t be the bride that spends $7,000 on a dress for herself, and then tries to have a potluck or cake-only wedding or something.  That would seem….selfish and cheap to me, if I were a guest.

As long as you are going all-out for the whole wedding, then I say go for it!  If you don’t have a large budget for the whole wedding, then I would tell you not to do it.

Post # 159
2334 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

View original reply
@MrsFutureG:  You are not the only one to say that but I don’t feel like replying to them all…  Check out the TOS- you’re not allowed to come onto a thread and criticize another bride’s wedding decisions.  The only thing ugly about these types of comments are the attitudes behind them.  If you don’t like a dress, just say its not your style or don’t say anything at all.

Post # 160
524 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

I love this dress!! where did you find it? what shoes would you wear?

Post # 161
1585 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

View original reply
@BooRadley:  I would never criticize a decision once it was made. If she decided to pick this dress somewhere between page 1&4, my apologies, I replied to the original post. However at this point she is asking if she should drop $7k for this dress and I am giving my answer: NO!

Post # 162
119 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

It’s unique and like no other. If you love it, I say go for it. Unless your the President’s daughter or some famous celebrity, 98% of us wouldn’t have many other opportunities to wear something extravagent and gorgeous?

Post # 163
1154 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

View original reply
@RedAngelDreamer:  I agree with this, it’s okay, but it really isn’t very flattering.  Also, it’s a huge fashion statement, which is fine, but when you look back at your pictures, it’s going to be the dress made fun of, that you choked up 7 grand for.

Post # 164
119 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

I liked the idea of making it short after your wedding. You could wear it again at an anniversary! Do you feel ok showing your fiance? If he loves it then that could reconfirm everything. I actually went dress shopping with my fiance and picked out the dress together. He will still get his “first look” once my hair and makeup are done and everything is all set up on wedding day.

Also, I think spending thousands is more rare and most prefer not to spend that much since that is more than a quarter of the averaging wedding cost in the US, so I don’t think you’ll get a ton of people agreeing to the price. I spent that much, but I come from the fashion industry so it was something really important to me. It just depends on your priorities! Good luck! 😀

Post # 165
2447 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

At no point did the OP ask for your opinions on the dress. In fact, she clearly states it is her dream dress.

“I’m struggling to decide if I should go through with getting my dream dress. I am absolutely set on it.”

She asked whether it was worth the money. A response, if you don’t like the dress, is to say “I would not spend 7K on a dress” and that’s it. It’s not necessary to say anything about the design if you don’t have anything nice to say or to pontificate on how many homeless children you can feed with 7K. Everyone has different priorities for their wedding day – for some people it’s food and for others it’s fashion. If it’s acceptable to rip apart someone’s choice just because of the price tag, then it should be acceptable to go on threads with less expensive dresses and say no, that knockoff looks like total shit and nothing like the original. Sometimes I feel like I’m in the twilight zone when I see someone post their $400 dress and everyone is like ohhh-ahhh-wow, and I’m like, “what are you smoking? that dress looks like you hot glued some polyester onto toilet paper.” But I keep my mouth shut because my negative opinion is not needed, unless the bride specifically asks “what do you think about the design of this dress?”. even then i would be cautious because we all have our own tastes.

Post # 166
126 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2016 - Bridgewater Place

Honestly, do what you want. I spent $1,500 on my dress (well, my mom did graciously) and I still feel guilty over it. I never imagined I would get a dress that cost that much. At the same time, it’s a dress I saw several times and counted it out of being considered because I thought it cost too much so I feel very lucky to be able to wear it on my wedding day.

However, cost is relative. If this is a cost that you can comfortably incur than go for it. It’s your day. If I had the money and could drop 7k on a dress I loved with no problem I would probably do it too.

The topic ‘$7,000 dream gown: Pay up or Pass up?!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors