(Closed) $7,000 dream gown: Pay up or Pass up?!

posted 8 years ago in Dress
Post # 167
240 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

View original reply
@atlbride2013:  THIS +1

I personally feel like people have used this thread to completely rip apart this dress for no apparent reason.  If it’s not your taste, that’s cool.  But so far it’s been compared to a dead muppet, a product of a paper shredder, and a 90’s sweater. As far as I’m concerned, that’s no way to treat a fellow bee!   If you don’t like something, it’s fine to say that it’s not your cup of tea, but I always felt like the Weddingbee was far more supportive than the over the top cruel responses I’ve seen here.  So disappointing. 

Post # 169
1038 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

View original reply
@Natto:  Think of it this way though, if women on the internet think those things about it, what do you think guests at her wedding will think?  Or her FI?  I could easily see most men saying very similar things about a dress like that. 

Post # 170
240 posts
Helper bee

View original reply
@nursemel:  If her Fiance knows her at all, he’ll expect a dress like this.   I’m sure he’d be confused if she came out looking like some cookie cutter bride.  Not sure why she would or should change her style or personal taste to pander to the unknown masses. 

Morever, just because someone doesn’t like a dress doesn’t excuse the terrible way she’s been treated on this thread. 

Post # 171
181 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

some comments here are so way out of line… Bees have given comments on the dress not because they are  jealous of another bride spending 7000 on a gown but out of concern…

if i was the OP, i would probably discussed this purchase with my FH prior to paying. I would feel he ought to be involved as the OP has a home with him, assuming its a home purchased together

Post # 172
1434 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2019 - City, State

View original reply
@SpecialSundae:  

Honestly, I don’t like the dress. I’m sorry, but given the price I’d rather be honest before you buy it than hold my tongue once it’s bought.

It’s the sort of dress that wears you unless you’re the sort of person who always dresses in an outlandish, high fashion manner.

Voice of reason. That dress is…Snuffleupagus comes to mind. I’m sorry but with $7,000 on the line I have to say it because the guests will be thinking it. 

Post # 173
76 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

i posted before i didn’t like the dress and i thought it was ugly and not worth the 7000. i didn’t say it to be mean to the OP. which is also why i pointed out that i do think she looks great. if others were thinking like me, then they were probably thinking, 7000 is a lot for an unflattering dress. and isn’t that how some of us decide “if it is worth it”? i thought it wasnt worth it because it is ugly to me. i figured if i think it isn’t worth it then i should say why not. obviously it is beautiful to others and worth it. everyone who agrees or disagrees is just giving an opinion, something that OP requested. i don’t think people are intentionally being mean. i see it as people trying to give honest feedback hoping it’s helpful. 

Post # 174
54 posts
Worker bee

Is there anything else you’d rather do with that money? A  vacation? An investment? New furniture? Home Improvement? Education? Your personality will shine through if you’re wearing a $400 dress or a $7,000 dress. Also, does your fiance approve of you spending that much on a dress? Another alternative would be paying someone to make a dress for you. There are multitudes of talented dress makers that could make you a similar gown for far less money. 

Post # 175
115 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

I dont think its very flattering on you. I know you love it but the feathers add bulk and the sleeved top adds bulk. I wouldnt care how much it cost if it makes you feel like a million dollars. But I dont think it looks a million dollars. You look from your face that your a very slim girl with a fab figure but the dress adds bulk, sorry. There are other feathered dresses out there? Kiss

Post # 176
385 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

View original reply
@atlbride2013:   Exactly.

Muppets, shredded paper, ugly, 90’s sweater… Pure evil.

Post # 177
2902 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

View original reply
@atlbride2013:  Yes! Exactly this! What the eff are people smoking thinking those chinese replica dresses are amazing? They look like cheap knock offs. It’s obviously bad taste to go into those threads and say how awful they are but people are allowed to come into this thread and say they HATE the dress blah blah blah? Seriously, it’s such a shitty attitude.

Some people are unapologetically out there and I love this. Some play safe and simple and that is cool too.

I really hope the OP rocks this dress and am happy she is strong enough not to be swayed by the bitchy opinions in this thread.

Post # 178
790 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

Oh please. No one is allowed to say that it’s an ugly dress? She asked whether she should spend $7k on it and the fact that many people think it’s ugly does come into play. How else can anyone answer this question? When someone has not yet purchased a dress, people do give their honest opinions. No they don’t say bad things about a finished Chinese knock-off (or any dress that’s already been purchased) because it’s a done deal. And $7k that it will take years to save up for isn’t on the line in those cases. But many times posters will tell someone “that dress doesn’t flatter you, you can do better” when a dress has not yet been purchased. So why can’t we say that here? Only the sufficiently fashion savvy are allowed to have an opinion? Even people without a subscription to Vogue can see what looks good.

The bottom line is most brides want to look beautiful to their guests. And that’s where these posters are coming from. This is a polarizing dress, which means some people will think it’s fabulous but frankly I think the average guest, yes I said average, mainstream, middlebrow, pedestrian – ie, most people, might think it’s ridiculous. I don’t think we’re obligated to tiptoe around the fact that this is not a crowd pleasing choice. Pretty sure she knows that anyway!

Edit: Also don’t see making a comparison to the Chinese knock-off dresses. People often buy those because they aren’t able to afford something more expensive. What good will it do to tell someone in that situation, nah, that doesn’t really look good? In this case the poster can afford much more and people are thinking that she could do (much) better. She is under no obligation to agree with us.

Post # 179
97 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

If it is the dream dress for you and you are 100% sure of that, then go for it. Try to let the rude “dont-buy-it” comments roll off your back. If you got something else, you would probably end up regretting it.

Post # 182
3682 posts
Sugar bee

View original reply
@Eglantine:  +1000

Post # 183
4430 posts
Honey bee

View original reply
@SpecialSundae:  I agree….I don’t like the dress at all and don’t think it’s worth sacrificing PEOPLE/GUESTS over.

The topic ‘$7,000 dream gown: Pay up or Pass up?!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors