(Closed) $7,000 dream gown: Pay up or Pass up?!

posted 8 years ago in Dress
Post # 184
2447 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

View original reply
@Eglantine  There is a difference between people saying, “I would pick something different” and people saying shit about muppets, shredded paper, etc. There’s a way to disagree without being a giant bitch about it. I think that not saving for your wedding gown and buying something off the rack is ridiculous, but once again, that’s not my call and i would never say it, because it’s not necessary to be rude. You don’t know anything about her wedding or her friends or her Fiance – what if she is friends with everyone that works at Vogue? What if she wears eccentric pieces all the time? Is it okay to rip apart her sense of style? And those people talking about investments/savings funds/etc, UGH. If the OP is thinking of dropping 7K on a dress, clearly fashion is important to her, she wants something very special for her big day. Speaking as someone that worked in fashion, I’m sorry but there is a difference between a $700 gown and a $7000. From construction to materials used to even what factory it was made in (certified vs not). You get what you pay for. 

Post # 185
2295 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

Bottom line – OP doesn’t have a budget yet. How can anyone say a $7k dress is reasonable, regardless of if you like it or not?

Even the most gorgeous $7k dress is unreasonable if your budget is below a certain amount. That’s reality. And if you have to cut your guest list and save up for it 18+ months, my guess is you really can’t afford it. BUT – we don’t know that for sure until the OP sets a budget.

To me, that should be the focus. Not a fight over the look of the dress – that is a personal/emotional choice. But the budget is a measurable, practical thing that needs to be sorted out.

Post # 186
924 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: January 2015

If you love it, buy it and then maybe try and recoup half by selling it after? That way your $7,000 will actually only cost $3,500!

Post # 187
4430 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

View original reply
@atlbride2013  agree. but when she talks about minimizing a guest list for it…that’s a problem

Post # 188
2447 posts
Buzzing bee

View original reply
@NAvery  +1. That’s the question we should be answering. The money side, not the design side. Offer the OP some ideas on how she can make her dream dress happen.

Post # 189
2447 posts
Buzzing bee

View original reply
@BellaDee  Well, if her guest list is 25 people, then yeah, it’s a problem. But if it’s 400 and involves inviting some long lost relatives that she doesn’t communicate with more than once every 10 years, I’d cut those folks and get my dream dress. 

Post # 190
4430 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

View original reply
@Eglantine  This!

Post # 191
790 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

View original reply
@atlbride2013  Speaking as someone that worked in fashion, I’m sorry but there is a difference between a $700 gown and a $7000. From construction to materials used to even what factory it was made in (certified vs not). You get what you pay for. 

And that isn’t the issue here. I don’t work in fashion and even I can easily tell the difference between dresses that cost $1k, $3k, and $7k. But just because a dress costs $7k unfortunately does not mean it will flatter the woman (ANY woman) wearing it.  

Post # 192
9816 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

My the sanctimony is strong in this thread. “I would NEVER tell 90% of brides here that their dresses are cheap cookie cutter pieces of shit, I have manners!” Please.

OP, the dress isn’t my style, but sometimes saving up for something you really want can be fun. And if you stockpile some savings, who knows. In 2 years you might find another dress that absolutely sings to you even more than this one and you’ll be able to buy it right then and there.

Post # 193
2447 posts
Buzzing bee

View original reply
@Eglantine  You’re right. And there’s a nice way of saying it – by just saying “hey this isn’t my style”. Telling someone you know nothing about that their dream dress looks like a muppet is not the way of doing it. 

Post # 194
1115 posts
Bumble bee

Why are we ragging on Muppets?

Post # 195
803 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

View original reply
@Eglantine  +1.  I would definitely consider how flattering a dress is when deciding whether it’s worth that much money; when I go to the mall with friends and someone asks, “Is it worth the money,” I’m not going to tell my friend something that doesn’t flatter her is worth a lot of money if she needs to think about it.  I would probably even tell her the albino muppet thing, but may not say that to a stranger on the internet. 

OP, if it’s in your budget, and you love it and it makes you feel fantastic, and you don’t mind guests who secretly think things about shredder cats and muppets and 90’s sweaters (or not so secretly gossip about it), and you would trim your guestlist anyway for some other element without having to agonize over it, get it.

I personally wouldn’t spend that kind of money unless a dress was objectively flattering and I could afford it without too much sacrifice, but that’s who I am.

Post # 196
503 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

I could never spend $7000 on a dress – but everyone has their own idea what is worth what.  I’m spending a lot more on food, music, and the photographer than others would spend.

That being said, it’s a little sad to think about slashing the guest list for a dress.  What’s more important – the dress, or the people you love?  Are the feather *that* much fun that they’d outstrip the value of a full and happy dance floor?  I think you could find a more flattering dress with feathers for half the price, no problem, and keep some of your guests!

Post # 197
2484 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

can you get an identical dress made for less?

Post # 198
2359 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

View original reply
@atlbride2013  i agree with you 100% on everything.   

some people on these boards go around preaching manners etc, and then they are the same people that are so rude in the next post.  

So many times i’ve seen people’s dresses, decor, invitations etc, and thought oh my god how ugly/tacky/hidious……. but i would never ever tell a bride that and discourage her from her vision.

The topic ‘$7,000 dream gown: Pay up or Pass up?!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors