(Closed) $7,000 dream gown: Pay up or Pass up?!

posted 8 years ago in Dress
Post # 199
3657 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: January 2000

View original reply
@BooRadley:  Nice photos of poesy bouquets. I am struck by the Lily of the Valley bouquet with this dress, that’s pretty.

For some reason ferns are calling to me in conjunction with this dress. What about a bouquet with no flowers, just fern leaves and unfurling fronds? You can get ferns in multi-green tones so that there is dark and light and yellow green and silver green. Mix them up.

Similar to this but I couldn’t find a photos without flowers.

Or really any bouquet of just greenery–that would be VERY interesting. This dress reminds me of something silvery, so lots of silvery plant material such as those in the artemesia family would be striking.

The trend of carrying one single calla lily is outdated, long outdated, yet I would like that for this dress. Myabe we could revive that trend for this ddress? ha ha

But using that idea, take a common garden flower (iris) and ramp it up using a fancy hybrid. Carry one of these, it would be stunning!

NOT this, there is already too much feathering going on:

Post # 200
3657 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: January 2000

View original reply
@DrMrsYu:  If you are getting married in May, come over to my yard and I’ll give ya free Lily of the Valley.  I had no idea they were expensive.

Post # 201
3196 posts
Sugar bee

I think you have plenty of time to wait to see if it come up somewhere used for a good price. Also, you might find something that suits you more and then it might be too late if you’ve already ordered it.

Post # 202
224 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

thinking about it, what is your wedding theme? looking at that dress again it sort of strikes me as vintage hollywood. like 1930’s

Post # 203
893 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2012

I don’t think 7k is too much to spend on a dress, no. but that’s because my only concept of dress cost comes from SYTTD, and over there the “cheap” dresses are 5-7k, with expensive ones being at least 15k+! so my concept of how much the average wedding dress costs is rather skewed, I realize, after reading through this thread haha. however that is a VERY unique dress, and if you love it then you love it! it’s not gonna be everyone’s cup of tea, but if you feel it’s very you then you should definitely get it. :] especially if the dress is so important to you!

Post # 204
942 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

it is not safe to try on a $7000 dress if you don’t have $7000 for a dress. Work out how much you are willing to spend then try dresses in your price range

my budget was $1000 and I bought her for $650. The most expensive dress I tried on was $1500. It was beautiful but outa my budget so I turned it down. I have no regrets and absolutely love the dress I chose so much more than the expensive princess gown that made me cry.

Post # 205
2393 posts
Buzzing bee

If you really are going to just die if you don’t get that dress — and considering you have a lot of time between now and the wedding to save up — then my advice would be to get it and be happy with your choice, and find some other way to cut corners so that you can make up for the expense.

But personally, I would not be investing any energy or wishful thinking on a dress if it were far, far out of my price range. The price tag would kill any of my desires for it. If I were in your shoes, I would find a good dressmaker and see about having something custom made that generally resembles the original, at a fraction of the cost.

Post # 206
611 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

View original reply
@KatyElle:  “My the sanctimony is strong in this thread. ‘I would NEVER tell 90% of brides here that their dresses are cheap cookie cutter pieces of shit, I have manners!’ Please.”

Oh my gosh, yes. “All I ever see on here are boring pedestrian gowns and same-old white lace mermaids and cheap ugly Chinese replicas, but I would NEVER insult someone by saying so” is just amazing. No, you’re far too well-mannered to insult anyone except EVERYONE WHOSE DRESS YOU JUST DUMPED ALL OVER.

Ahem.

OP – I am in the camp of, save up the money and see where you are in a year. See where your budget is shaping up, see how you feel about the dress, see if there’s anything else you’ve found that you like better and (maybe) isn’t so costly. If you’re still madly in love with it and the money isn’t a problem, then do it!

Post # 212
5422 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: November 2012

View original reply
@JacksHammerPow:  I really hope you stick to your guns and purchase it.  It’s a shame people told you it was ugly.  Clearly, you did not think so, yet thet continued to attempt to bash it,  Overall, the bee tends to be more supportive.  Some people cannot appreciate a gown that steps away from the conventional “bridal” look we are all accustomed to.  FWIW, I tried on a different pronovias gown last year at van cleve and loved the ostrich feathers on the bottom.  I just didn’t like the top.

Also, please go back 11/24 to purchase it so I can see it when I go to my fitting.  hehe.

The topic ‘$7,000 dream gown: Pay up or Pass up?!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors