(Closed) $7,000 dream gown: Pay up or Pass up?!

posted 8 years ago in Dress
Post # 214
11267 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: April 2012

View original reply
@JacksHammerPow:  i didn’t read all of the replies but i think that if it fits your wedding budget and suits the style of your wedding then do it.  it is a lot of money but if you feel special in that dress then get it.  just don’t go in debt over it.  you do have a couple of years still so perhaps you should go and try on other dresses too.

Post # 218
272 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

View original reply
@MASPA:  I guess it all depends. I bought my pronovias dress at an official store in Europe and it was much cheaper than any of the US salons I contacted.

Post # 219
274 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

If you can afford it, then do it. I personally don’t like that dress, and I feel if you look back at your wedding pictures 20 years from now. you’ll say what was I thinking? LOL

Post # 220
1013 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

My dream dress was a 20 000 Oscar De la Renta. I wanted that dress more than anything thought about pushing back my wedding to save etc. I ended up with a 1200 Allure that I loved. I am so glad that I didn’t spend that much you will be amazed how fast the day goes by and it is just one day in your life. I do not regret for a second not getting my dream dress and I had thought that the dress to me was the most important item I had to decide on for the wedding. Believe me save your money.

Post # 221
2965 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

View original reply
@JacksHammerPow:  I would work out the budget first and book the venue and have your vision more clear first. I made the mistake of buying the dress before I did anything else and you wouldn’t want to make a 7K mistake.

Post # 222
2965 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

View original reply
@JacksHammerPow:  Sorry just now seeing your venue. I think the dress would be lovely and fitting for your theme and venue. I would wait for the sample. You do have 2 years.

Post # 223
5063 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2014

I really coulden’t justify spending that amount of money on a dress. If you can then go for it. I was given some really good advice on here though with 2 years to wait are you sure your tastes or theme won’t change?

Post # 224
666 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

My thoughts are that if you have enough available money right now that you can easily afford $7000 for a dress, then it’s OK to buy it.  

However if you have to “save up” for it or if you have to go into debt for it, then it’s too expensive and could really hurt your financial future.

Post # 225
2484 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

View original reply
@JacksHammerPow:  but it doesn’t have to be someone might be able to find fabric already like that. you should at least look into it.

7,000 is way to much lady.

Post # 226
5422 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: November 2012

View original reply
@JacksHammerPow:  oh i forgot to mention yesterday.  Im not sure if the salon is charging 7k even.  But I got my pronovias dress at the flagship store in NYC.  I checked on vals out of curiosity and it is priced at about 6700, I think.  If you go on the first appointment and buy you get 12% off. 

Post # 227
2334 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

View original reply
@MASPA:  yay!  That’s $5900 or $6700 and a free belt or veil (that’s how I choose to think about my trunk show discount…free veil).

I do not understand how so many PP say its too much if you have to save up for 2 years.  Isn’t it a good thing to save for your dream dress, rather than putting it on credit card and accumulating debt?  I really don’t understand that thinking.

Post # 228
5217 posts
Bee Keeper

View original reply
@JacksHammerPow:  you could really piss people off by buying the dress, rocking the socks off of it and then doing a Trash The Dress session :p

In all seriousness, I think the venue, your vision and your FIs expectations line up, so IF you can and feel comfortable saving that much for it, I don’t see the problem. As long as you’re not asking people to bring potluck cucumber sandwiches and the dress fits the overall budget, theme and style… Go for it. 

The topic ‘$7,000 dream gown: Pay up or Pass up?!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors