(Closed) $7,000 dream gown: Pay up or Pass up?!

posted 9 years ago in Dress
Post # 19
523 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

If you’re that set on it do your best to buy it used a year from now. The rule of themb is that the value of the dress typically drops 50% after the first bride. 

My ONLY concern about buying it used is because it’s such an original dress is that not as many brides may buy it and as a result even less will re-sell. 

Post # 20
453 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

Like pp said, if you have the room in the budget get it!  There’s nothing wrong with getting your dream gown as long as it’s not going to strap you financially.  I still say hold off for another year since your wedding is so far away but definitely keep it as an option

Post # 21
8066 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2013

What is your budget for your dress?

Have you tried many others on?

You have time.  You could always continue looking, who knows, you might even find one you like better.

Because of the feathers I think a sample dress might be a bad idea.  Your best bet to save money would be a preowned one.

Post # 22
1092 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

@JacksHammerPow:  Simple solution – Stop talking to people about dresses and prices. It’s your decision, no one elses.

Post # 23
4090 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

I would only do it if someome gifted me $100,000 and I could ONLY use it on wedding stuff (aka not retirement, or a car, etc).

Otherwise, $7,000 is like a Roth IRA contribution for a year and then some! 

So a $7,000 dress you wear once NOW, or $23,000+ that you can use in 30 years.

Post # 25
3578 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

IMO, that is waaaaay too much to spend on a dress.

Post # 26
1875 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I think it would depend on what percent of the budget the dress is and what you would be giving up to get the dress.  If it’s <15% of your budget – I don’t see a problem with it.  But if you have to choose between having the dress and having an open bar or inviting everyone you want then I’d skip on the dress.

Post # 28
598 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

if i were you i would hold off on making such a large purchase and maybe look around some more. personally i would never in a million years pay $7,000 for a dress you will wear once. some people spend that amount on their entire wedding.

Post # 29
1375 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

@JacksHammerPow:  You really HAVE to get a budget figured out before you make a decision on a dress like that. I know $30k (or whatever) might sound like a lot, but it goes SO fast.

I also think it’s a… questionable choice… to choose a thing (dress) over people (guests), but you may be cutting people who are pretty far removed? Keep in mind though, with both parents giving a good amount of money and you both being only children, they may have expectations about who you need to invite (social contacts, colleagues, etc).

Get that guest list and budget hammered out first thing. Then make a decision on how much can go to what.

Post # 30
3501 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

I think it’s an awesome dress but its up to you if you if you can afford it. I saw it in a salon when I was having my fitting. I do like it. 

pronovias dresses will not go down in price.  If its a 2013 dress it will be discontinued the end of next year. then you would have to get a sample. 

Post # 31
6317 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: December 2013

@JacksHammerPow:  So you are decided, then?

I say if you love it and can afford it, then go for it.

I guess for me a wedding dress isn’t a priority. I’m not made of money (although we are very comfortable by most people’s standards) but I just don’t think it’s worth it to spend that kinda money on something I’ll only wear for a few hours. The whole wedding thing isn’t for me. We’re happy just eloping. We’re putting the money in the rings.

If you are willing to buy that dress vs. take a vacation or whatever sacrifice (no matter how ‘first world’ the sacrifice is) then I think you should totally do it. Hell you only get married once!

The topic ‘$7,000 dream gown: Pay up or Pass up?!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors