(Closed) $7,000 dream gown: Pay up or Pass up?!

posted 9 years ago in Dress
Post # 47
359 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

Personally, I would think carefully. That is a lot of money to spend on a wedding dress. Figure out your budget first. I agree that if the dress is more than 15% of your budget, it might be a bad choice. Take some time, try not to obsess over pictures of this dress, and try some others on. If you are still thinking about it in 6-8 months, then reconsider.

Post # 48
14 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: April 2013

pass

Post # 49
1578 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

You should do what you think will make you happiest in the long run.

It is a very pretty, and extraordinarily unique dress.  If saving up for, and then wearing, that dress on your wedding day will make you happiest – go for it!  Especially with the FI’s blessing.

I, personally, would be happier choosing a less expensive dress and saving up for a vacation, a new car, contribution to the IRA, etc. instead.

Everyone is different…follow your own instincts!  🙂

Post # 50
793 posts
Busy bee

@cmbr:  +1

You should set your wedding’s budget before you make a major purchase like this. You have a looong time to dress shop as well.

Post # 51
3578 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

@UberClaire – I agree. I think the bottom of the dress is cool, but the top isn’t doing anything for me. 

Post # 52
Hostess
1606 posts
Bumble bee

It’s a very unique dress, but $7k is a bit steep..

Post # 53
83 posts
Worker bee

I love the styling on that dress! It’s vintage, romantic, eclectic and modern all at the same time!  I know it’s a lot to spend on a dress! Try on other dresses and see if you can find anything else that makes you feel the same way.. And if you can’t find anything splurge on it, you only get married once (usually) so its totally worth it to feel like a million bucks on your special day! Good luck!

Post # 54
4053 posts
Honey bee

@JacksHammerPow:  I’m a younger lady and I would not ever, never ever spend that much on a dress haha

Post # 55
312 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

That is a pretty amazing gown.  I see nothing wrong with having a smaller wedding either.

But, you have so much time!  Wait a bit before you buy it.

Post # 56
2969 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2012

That dress is fantastic. It’s out of the box and couture looking and if that is what your heart wants then go for it. You’re worried about spending so much on a dress, but if you can actually hammer out a wedding budget and the dress can fit into it, then go for it. Definitely wait to see if the price comes down since you do have 2 years, but spending money is a personal decision and no one can tell you how much a wedding dress is really worth. 

Post # 57
378 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

Get it!! If it’s your dream, get it. The dress would also look beautiful short, so maybe after the wedding you could get it hemmed to right above the knee (that’s what i’m doing with my dress). It’s so beautiful and it wouldn’t even have to be a one time dress!

Post # 58
61 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

@RedAngelDreamer:  I agree! The dress looks like it’s wearing OP more than the other way around. All you see is the dress, and not the OP’s pretty face or pretty figure.

Nice dress, but doesn’t look like a $7000 dress to me.

Post # 59
1221 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

I like the dress, and if $7k is proportional to your budget then go for it.  BUT I can say that as a guest, I’d be annoyed if the bride was wearing a couture dress and there was a cash bar or something.  I say wait a year and see if you can get it as a sample or secondhand.  You might fall in love with something else in the next year anyway.

AND PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO HAVE A REPLICA OF THAT DRESS MADE AND PLEASE EVERYONE STOP SUGGESTING A REPLICA – there’s no way that they’d be able to pull that off, there’s a reason the dress is $7k to begin with.

Post # 60
177 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

^Word up.  There is NO way a replication would come close to the original gown.  The amount of detail, work and execution involved in this dress is the reason for the pricing of this gown in my opinion. 

Post # 61
652 posts
Busy bee

@waterloobee:  Exactly! She’s gorgeous with a gorgeous figure and you’d NEVER know it in this dress. I don’t care if the dress is $7 million. It’s just not flattering.

The topic ‘$7,000 dream gown: Pay up or Pass up?!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors