(Closed) $7,000 dream gown: Pay up or Pass up?!

posted 9 years ago in Dress
Post # 62
543 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2012

@KCKnd2:  I agree with this. I would personally rather have more people than an extremely expensive gown, because it’s not about the dress in the end. But it’s not my wedding or my decision, so I’m not going to judge you, OP.

Honestly, you have a lot of time. If you think you can save up the $7k for it and you love it, it’s up to you. But I would suggest looking at more dresses in the next year or so, and do not try on dresses you aren’t 100% sure you can (or want to) afford. 

My personal feeling on that dress is that it may look dated even in a year, so keep it in your mind, but also keep looking. And if you start saving and decide on something less expensive, you’ll be ahead of the game in the end.

Post # 63
1835 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

Oh sweet baby jesus, YOU HAVE TO GET THAT DRESS. That is couture and edgy and elegant. You can sell it after the wedding. And honestly, I would rather take a drunk uncle or five off of my guest list if it meant getting a fabulous dress.

Post # 64
1286 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

tbh i think you could find a more flattering dress, you have an awesome figure, while the dress is pretty, it doesnt show it.

Maybe you could find another dress you love since your wedding is in 2 years

Post # 65
2419 posts
Buzzing bee

Hmm … couture? Yeah, okay.

Edgy? Definitely.

Elegant? Not so much.

OP, if it’s what you love, so be it, we have different tastes. I agree with the PPs that don’t think it does anything for you and that you’d be crazy to drop 7k to wear this for a few hours. The top reminds me of a baggy polyester blouse, ca. 1982, bought at Goodwill and thrown over a glittery leotard after dance rehearsal … and a family of albino Muppets was sacrificed to make the skirt.

I think you can do way better on both price and style.

Post # 66
77 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: February 2013

1. If you can afford it, spending $7k on a dress is not too much at all. If your wedding will be once in a lifetime, it’s surely worth every penny.

2. The dress looks like a $7k dress, but it’s not worth to spend $7K on it because it’s not flattering on you at all. (Sorry if I hurt your feelings.) 

3. You’ll wear your wedding dress just for one day, but you’ll look at your wedding pictures for many many years. So 20 years later, for example, will you feel happy to see yourself in that dress (in pictures)?

Post # 67
177 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

I think the dress is worth it cause at the end of the day, it makes you so happy and is not going to put you into debt.  Seeing as your Fiance knows  your taste in clothes, I would expect that he’ll be pleased to see you walk down the aisle looking like “you” instead of someone in a very pedestrian bridal gown. 

Not everyone is meant to wear an a-line, or mermaid gown in lace/satin.   If that’s not your personality, why bother trying to change?   Quite frankly, I think it’s great that someone out there is wearing something different for once on these boards.  Go with your gut! 

Post # 68
1835 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

@KCKnd2:  This is the dress on the runway- it is a very elegant dress. it’s not the same old mermaid-ruched-ballgown-lace thing you see everyday, which can get so utterly boring. 

Post # 70
177 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

@atlbride2013:  Now that I can see the top portion worn off the shoulder, i really love this dress even more.  So not pedestrian!!!!! 

Post # 71
533 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2013 - Old Stone House in Brookyn

These suggestions may be a stretch but it’s worth a shot:

1) Pair this Sue Wong dress with a sheer off-the-shoulder top http://www1.bloomingdales.com/shop/product/sue-wong-beaded-gown-illusion-neck-fringe-bottom

2) Get a dress you like with a plain floor length white skirt and DIY it a la this blog http://www.whowhatwear.com/website/full-article/diy-feather-skirts/

Post # 72
137 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

The only time that I think a ridiculously expensive dress is appropriate is if whoever is paying for it, can do so easily. Two years worth of savings for something that you’re going to wear for a matter of hours is a total waste, in my opinion. If you love it and absolutely have to have it then do whatcha gotta do but I think that money could be better spent on just about anything else.

I also happen to kind of hate the dress but that’s not up for discussion.

Post # 73
5259 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: July 2010

I LOVE THAT DRESS!  I was skeptical until I saw that dress.  I totally get it.  I would do it if I could afford it.  I think the dress is very important because it shapes how you feel for the day!

Post # 74
5259 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: July 2010

@JacksHammerPow:  I hope you do I love it 🙂

Post # 75
441 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2014 - Brazil Room

Sue Wong – under $1000

Post # 76
654 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

@Ringer101:  well said.

A $7k dress can definitely be worth the “couple hours of wear” and those that don’t have share the same perspective on budgets/money will always scoff at a price higher than their comfort zone. 

If you’re comfortable with the price and love it – then absolutely go for it 

The topic ‘$7,000 dream gown: Pay up or Pass up?!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors