(Closed) $7,000 dream gown: Pay up or Pass up?!

posted 8 years ago in Dress
Post # 122
790 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

No one can tell you whether it’s okay to spend $7k on a dress, just like no one can tell you whether it’s okay to spend $7k on flowers, liquor or anything else. And you’re not looking for fashion advice from us stodgy Bees, so I’m not sure what there is left to say. But I will give you my opinion since you put this up for debate. For $7k I’d want a dress that was designed to make a woman’s body look amazing. That’s a dress that only looks “good” on a runway. Yeah there’s obviously a lot of labor involved but the end result is a lot of fussiness and not a beautiful fit, amazing lines, etc. I’ve seen pics of dresses that cost that much where I thought, hell yeah, worth it, but I just can’t say that about this dress. And I’m not a fan of the same old strapless mermaid myself, but I just think a bride should be flattered by her dress and that’s a sort of first, basic requirement before any other considerations come into play. If you do get it, I hope it makes you happy and feel beautiful!

Post # 123
2447 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

View original reply
@SpecialSundae:  I agree with you, there are times when I look at a runway photo and think…huh? It’s just refreshing to see something different on these boards…different material, intricate beading, gorgeous lines, etc. But I’m a weirdo fashion person, I think Daphne Guinness is incredible, ya know.

Post # 124
882 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

It’s stunning—and you look amazing in it! I vote to get it. Espically since you said “To me, this is the most important part of the day besides the food.” You totally rock that dress, and it’s a hard one to pull off!

On another note, I’m shocked at the rudeness at some of these responses. I’m willing to bet that some of the posters that wrote things like: “$7K is a ridiculous amount to spend on a dress for a few hours,” would love to be able to walk into a salon like the one you went to and even be able to consider purchasing an expensive dress. They don’t call jealousy the green-eyed monster for nothing! 

Post # 128
882 posts
Busy bee

Yay! Now, let’s talk how to accessorize your dress! 

Post # 129
11736 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

Sorry just saw that you were sold on it and wanted help dealing with people raining on your parade – tell them to bug off! I get that people who have had weddings realize now that it’s kind of a waste of $, and I know I’ll be one of those people someday, but seriously while I’m planning it’s obviously exciting! People are just annoying and think they’re being helpful, but come on! 

Post # 131
1474 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

The only thing I would worry about would be dress regret. Two years from now is a long time, and I’ve seen SO many dress regret threads here. Most of them stem from buying a dress too far out, or buying a dress before you have a venue/theme/tone for the wedding. Since you’re in both situations, I’d recommend waiting. BUT – that doesn’t mean you can’t start saving now, and if you still feel the same way in a year or so I’m sure you could track it down and probably even find it at a better price 🙂 It is absolutely beautiful. I had a wedding splurge or two (hello, shoes) so I can definitely relate!

Post # 132
2447 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

View original reply
@BrooklynWife:  THIS.

OP, have you thought about shoes? Jewelry? Veil? Omg I’m dying over here to accessorize you. lol.

What are your other wedding plans in terms of look?

Post # 133
790 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

View original reply
@JacksHammerPow:  Really? I think it looks amazing on me and terrible (REALLY TERRIBLE) in the modeling pictures. But that’s just me.

I mean you are clearly lovely but the blousy top just shrouds you in fabric and I can’t see…you! That type of dress looks “right” to me on a gaunt walking hanger because there’s nothing to “see” under the dress anyway, you know what I’m saying??

But girl, you obviously love it, and every bride should feel that way about her dress.

Post # 134
5009 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2012

View original reply
@atlbride2013:  I admire people who can pull off that sort of look, but probably fall more into the Dita von Teese ideals of style.

Post # 135
882 posts
Busy bee

@JacksHammerPow and @atlbride2013

Let’s talk veils! 

I am normally an every-bride-should-wear-a-vail-gal. But I think you’re right—a traditional veil would be too much. You definitely don’t want to cover the back, and I don’t think a birdcage would look right—the netting is too harsh). Definitely wear your hair up, and maybe a comb or a headband with a FEW feathers….you also may be able to wear a high bubble veil. 

Unfortunately, I don’t think an all vintage jewelry boquet will work either. Maybe your florist can put a few inside of a simple arrangement? 

What is your venue like?

Post # 136
843 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

View original reply
@Eglantine:  

exactly what you said. When I opened this thread I was surprised by the dress and the cost, just doesnt show a 7k “gown”. Just looks like a blouse thrown together with a messy skirt. If thats what op wants then so be it.

The topic ‘$7,000 dream gown: Pay up or Pass up?!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors