(Closed) 71 baby names banned in new zealand

posted 7 years ago in Babies
Post # 17
190 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

OMG my mom was telling me there is a little girl on her bus named Shit’head I think its pronounced sha-T-hud… I swear to many stupid people are having babies

Post # 18
2376 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: January 2013

View original reply
@MariContrary:  yep! thats the trash of new zealand for u unfortunately…although im sure our country isnt the only one.

although i disagree with Duke -thats an ok name isnt it? and Honour? or are u meant to spell it Honor?

Post # 19
5870 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2013

View original reply
@MariContrary:  Oh, like a Justice of the Peace or something?  I didn’t get it.  Well that seems like it’s in line with others on the list then.  

Post # 20
5870 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2013

View original reply
@Doodle411:  There was a story about that name in Freakonomics.  Weird that your mom would know someone with that name too – I wonder if it comes from a different culture?  

I know sometimes people from Asian cultures have names that don’t work well in English.  I actually KNOW someone who’s legal name is Dongwood.  He DOES NOT use that name in Canada.  I mean honestly though, since they were translating from non-roman characters, couldn’t they have chosen a different spelling?  Poor guy.

Post # 21
2375 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

View original reply
@nearlymarriedlass:  Oh, we’ve got just as bad ones here.  I don’t understand why these people would want their child to be miserable growing up.  I’m sure there are plenty of children here who would have appreciated a banned list.  I think we did stop a set of so called parents from naming their child Adolf Hitler though.

Post # 22
190 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

View original reply
@cbgg:  Oh yeah she has had some good ones get on her bus, she drives for a school district…I can’t imagine what it’s like for the teacher having to call their name in class for the first time lol

Post # 23
887 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

View original reply
@cbgg:  I can one-up you there: my Mother-In-Law used to work in medical records and has come across some reeeeaal doozies – full name: Deep Phat Dik. 

Post # 24
2376 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: January 2013

View original reply
@MariContrary:  omg, WTF!!!!! i think its mostly the people high on drugs. someone tried calling their baby Bus stop 66 here once…..and Tahula does the Hoola from Hawaii – or something like that.

nuts!

Post # 25
257 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 2014

In Germany you have to get unusal names approved and sometimes they will deny you. German law mandates a baby name must reflect the sex of the child, and not endanger the well being of the child.  A friend of mine was the first ever Santana in Germany, her mum actually filed a legal suit to get the name approved. Names such as Stompie, Woodstock and Grammophon were turned down in the past. Same goes for Satan, Bierstübl, Puhbert, Pillula, Sputnik, Störenfried, Oma, Verleihnix, Berlin, Bodhi, Borussia, Cezanne, Frieden-Mit-Gott-Allein-Durch-Jesus-Christus, Heydrich, Holgerson, Lindbergh, Lord, McDonald, Moewe, Mechipchamueh, Navajo, Pfefferminze, Puschkin, Rosa (for a boy), Rosenherz, Schröder, Schmitz, Simona (for a boy), Stone, Sonne, Tom Tom and Venus (for a boy).

Post # 26
7951 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2010

My co-worker has a son named Justice.  Not my taste- but there are certainly a lot worse….on that list even!

Post # 27
4494 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

Back slashes between names? Good grief! Who would want to do that in the first place?

Post # 28
457 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2013

Someone wanted to name their child “3rd”?  Say what?? lol. 

Post # 29
892 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2014

Whats with # 66? lol

Post # 30
3696 posts
Sugar bee

Wow, most of those are deplorable and should be banned.

I’m a bit puzzled by “Honour,” though. I’ve definitely seen “Honor” used as a (somewhat uncommon, but lovely) girl’s name among people of Irish ancestry, and there are lots of people of Irish ancestry in Australia. Yes, it’s an abstract quality, but it’s really no different from naming a girl “Faith,” “Hope,” “Charity,” “Prudence,” “Patience,” etc., and those names are pretty widely accepted. Why should “Honour/Honor” be banned?

Post # 31
53 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

This thread reminded me of one of my favorite webcomics…

The topic ‘71 baby names banned in new zealand’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors