.72 vs .85 carat visual difference?

posted 8 months ago in Engagement
Post # 2
68 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: March 2020 - Orlando, FL

What shape are you looking at? Sometimes the proportion makes the difference as with ovals and pears 

Post # 3
1435 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2019 - City, State

The cost difference might have to do with the clarity or cut. I got my diamond off james allen. I can’t recommend them enough. My diamond is amazing and has a reasonable cost. If cost is a concern, check them out.

For size, look at the actual measurements of the diamond, not the weight. Smaller carat diamonds can be bigger in dimension. The other poster is right about shapes. I have an oval. It looks much bigger than my other ring with a round of the same carat.

Post # 5
256 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2020

I agree that it is all about how a diamond is cut. A slightly larger carat diamond can actually look smaller if it is cut poorly. I don’t think you will see much difference in the sizes if all else is equal, but if I had to choose I would pick the best cut every time. 

Post # 6
343 posts
Helper bee

When it comes to diamonds, cut is most important visually. Carat refers to the weight, so a poorly cut larger carat can face up very differently. 

Did you see the certificates for the stones?

Post # 9
172 posts
Blushing bee

I have a .81ct center Round Brilliant, VS1, Excellent cut center diamond (finger size is 6.5, but my finger looks a bit chubby under the ring and the itself ring is sized at 6.75 to allow room for swelling in the summer). I think it is really the brilliance, and a great cut and clarity of the diamond that makes it dazzle and look more spectacular. When I was looking for bands for my e-ring, I saw 1cts in person next to my stone and other than the slightest difference in size, that difference was almost negligible. So based on what I saw in stores with comparison to my diamond, I would think the size difference between a .72 and a .85 would hardly be noticible.

If I were you, I’d look at the specs of the stone and see which one is a more quality stone, therefore giving you more bang for your buck.

Here is a pic of my stone to give you an idea of size for a comparison to the .85ct you are considering.

0923181021 (2)

Post # 10
1064 posts
Bumble bee

The difference would be negligible. One tenth of a mm. If the specs are all the same except for carat size between a .72 vs a .71 and it saves you a couple of hundred, then I would go with the .71.

Post # 11
172 posts
Blushing bee

mdom7 :  I see you are now considering a .72/.71ct stone. I agree with desiderata‘s post.

Post # 12
256 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2020

If you are looking at super ideals, that’s great!  Can the jeweler do a side by side video of the stones so you can see which speaks to you more?  Maybe save the extra funds to put toward a wedding band or toward the setting?

Post # 14
1064 posts
Bumble bee

I’m a bit confused. You mentioned a .72 vs a .85. Then a .71 vs a .72. Now a .72 vs a .86.

If it is between a .86/.85 or a .72/ .71 then yes, you will notice a difference depending on how well the .86 is cut.

Have a look at the stones side by side and see which one you like best and if it is worth the difference in price to you. You can also check out  https://diamdb.com.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors