(Closed) 7:30 ceremony too late?

posted 5 years ago in Ceremony
Post # 2
515 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2016

I really liked this one venue and the only ceremony times they could accomodate was 6:00pm and in my opinion that was too late for me. But I guess it all depends on you and your guests. I didn’t want the dinner/dance to start late either. 

Post # 3
10541 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2016

I love late weddings. Our start time is 6:30 and I would have started it later if our venue would have let me. I think 7:30 will be fine, you may have some older guests leave earlier but that can happen with any start time.

Post # 4
697 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2016

I love evening weddings, but I think 7:30 is way too late! The lastest I would have a ceremony is 5:30 or 6pm. But it’s completely up to you and how badly you want to get married in that specific church. Plus, if you’re having a reception party after, that would leave your guests eating dinner very late which I don’t think they will like.

Post # 5
1350 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2017

How long will your reception be? 

Post # 6
1401 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2015

I wanted a 630p start time, but our photographer reminded me of the impact on photos.

We went with 6pm to get the extra 30mins of gorgeous light.

Post # 7
2176 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

what time of year will it be? 7:30 pm in July is a lot different than 7:30 pm in December (to me) also what day of the week? (Saturday night I would be more inclined to be ok with is vs Friday or Sunday)

I think that its definitely on the later side but it can work if you have the right crowd

Just remember that means 7:30 – 8 pm at the church, 8 – 8:30 pm travel to the reception, 8:30 – 9:30 is cocktail hour and then 9:30 – 10 is intro and dances so you won’t be eating dinner till about 10 pm

is that something that your family/friends are ok with? if you live in the city and most people don’t have kids it might be ok but if you are in a more rural area or have a lot of families attending I can’t imagine it would work out

Post # 8
1364 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2016

I went to a wedding with a 7:30 start time, but the ceremony was quick (15-20 min) and it went almost straight into dinner. They had done all photos before the ceremony, so there was a quick 20 minute cocktail time and then dinner was served (ceremony and reception were in the same building). Plus the dancing went until 2 AM so between ceremony ending and dancing ending there was 5 hours — which is a pretty standard wedding length. The wedding was child-free which made sense given the late start.

So if you can stay in the reception venue later, and want an adult wedding then I think 7 30 is fine! Only other thing to consider would be guest travel time.

Post # 9
564 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2016

We’re doing a 6pm call time and 630 ceremony, mainly because we’re getting married on a Friday and want to accommodate working people as much as possible. With our permitted time slot at the venue that takes us to midnight which we figure is a good time to call it quits. 

The lighting thing is definitely something to think about. We’re getting married in November, which means the whole thing will be after dark. It also means if we want portraits during the day we need to be really particular with our photographer, since some only give you 8 hour slots and our timeline requires more than that to get everything in. The plus side is, as one photog told us, the best light is right before the sunset, and often people time their ceremonies to fall then, so you dont get the best light for your portraits. We’re going to get great light and possibly some great sunset shots, which I’m stoked about. 

The topic ‘7:30 ceremony too late?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors