$75 an hour for bartender?

posted 6 years ago in Reception
Post # 3
1253 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

@angelapicklebottom:  I feel it is a little high especally when you say it cost more then the room rental. Our bartender fee is a flat $150 for the night plus 20% gratuity but this is at the Hyatt and we are having 3 signature drinks and a cocktail hour. 

However, I guess since the price of the room was so low they will find their money in other places. So not cool. Good luck. 

Post # 4
4193 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: July 2012 - Baltimore Museum of Industry

Our venue is just the venue (museum, so we get tables, but caterering is all on us.) A couple of the caterers we’re looking at will charge $150 per bartender for the night, if we BYOB. Your quoted price seems high- having an extra staff member is usually around $30 an hour, so that $75 should include gratuities.

Post # 5
4887 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

That’s pretty high… my venue is on the expensive side and they’re charging $25 per bartender per hour with a 2 bartender minimum, per hour.  So basically I’m getting two bartenders for 2/3 of the price your venue is asking.  I’d try to negotiate that one down for sure.

Post # 7
7902 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2012 - Pelican Grand Beach Resort

In my area, that is cheap, cheap, cheap. A bartender will often be $150 an hour with a 4 hour minimum.

Post # 8
4887 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

@angelapicklebottom:  Someone making $75/hour pulls $156,000 a year if they were working 8 hour days.  That’s a ridiculous amount of money to pay for a bartender.

Even in my bartending heyday I was making about $50,000/year, which is $24/hour.  Don’t pay it!

Post # 9
13012 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

I think that’s expensive.  My wedding is in downtown DC on a Saturday night, and our bartenders (through the caterer) are $35/hour. 

Post # 10
336 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

We are having our laid back reception on a Friday night. We are doing everything ourselves, but having it at a hall .The hall sets up the tables. You can rent from them or buy your own: tableclothes and napkins-we’re renting theirs. You can bring in your own alcohol but you must:

hire 2 bartenders-$40/hr per bartender ($320)

hire 2 security gaurds-$50/hr ($400)

all these people have to be off their list of people, so can’t hire outside security or bartender.

+ all alcohol

The room was $275… People ask why we’re not having an open bar.

Post # 11
959 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

@mrsSonthebeach:  Agreed, I was going to say the same thing since I’m from South Florida as well.

Post # 12
964 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

@mrsSonthebeach:  I need to move down there to bartend!

I guess it depends on your area.  One caterer quoted me $150 for 4 hours.   I’m a manager at a night club and the bartenders want to bartend for my wedding because it will have a lot of people in the biz there so they are hoping to make lots of money.  Not allowing them to have a tip jar but if someone tips them they can accept it.  

That seems pretty high to me

Post # 13
1572 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

I think it’s way too high, especially since it’s not an open bar. Our venue doesn’t provide bartenders so I’m looking for one now and running into people who are weirdos, charge way too much, or aren’t available. You can try talking to your venue, and bring up the fact that the bartender is more than the room rental and state what their duties would be. They may be under the impression that you are haivng an open bar. Maybe it’s where I live, but I’m a former bartender and occasionally worked private events. My hourly was never that high (although I often made tips – but I did work events where there was no tip jar and my hourly was still less)

Post # 14
2651 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2016

Umm yea that’s a bit high…. Our bartender fee is a flat 50 bucks plus the cost of the bar package per person. (15-45$)

Post # 15
201 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

We just got a quote from a caterer…and we’re told the cost would be $175 per bartender, so a total of $350 as we’ll need 2.  But that’s for the entire 4 hours.  So I’d say your venue’s quote sounds steep!

Post # 16
262 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

That does seem high. The ones I’ve looked at here are 18-30/hour. You said you weren’t having an open bar so maybe the venue decided that it just wants to squeeze more money out of you. I know plenty of catering companies here will include the bartending fee if it is open/hosted bar, but will charge an hourly rate and/or hundreds of dollars in extra fees for a cash bar because they want to guarantee a certain profit per wedding.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors