(Closed) $750 for groomsmen outfits….is this normal?

posted 4 years ago in Etiquette
Post # 2
8362 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

Wow thats outrageous. I would stand your ground on that. Why cant all the Groomsmen rent suits?

Personally, I’d make this a hill to die on. “Sorry guys, we can’t afford this suit. I can either buy X suit, rent a similar suit, which do you prefer?”

They might also make it a hill to die on and kick him out. In which case you’ll probably be thanking your lucky stars when they have to pay $1k for a bachelor party/gifts/etcetcetc

Post # 3
5459 posts
Bee Keeper

View original reply
Loupyloo :  Uh, no this is crazy. Is this to purchase right? Can you rent instead? My husband’s groom suit was $300.  Out of curiosity what are they asking him to wear? 

Post # 4
126 posts
Blushing bee

Totally crazy! You can get a nice suit for half of that. 

Post # 5
608 posts
Busy bee

Nope.  I’m Canadian and its customary for the wedding party to pay for their own attire. That being said, I’d never ask someone to purchase something that expensive for my wedding.  Our tux rentals were about $200 per groomsman and even then I felt uncomfortable asking them to pay that much.  

Post # 6
5459 posts
Bee Keeper

Also yes it’s the Groomsmen and Bridesmaid or Best Man pay for their own clothes but it’s also etiquette to take the bridal party’s budget info consideration. They should have asked if that much was ok. Are you also traveling to the US for this? 

Post # 7
6394 posts
Bee Keeper

View original reply
Loupyloo :  No that’s crazy high.  I’d either commit to a lower suit or step down from the wedding if the others won’t compromise on the suit.

Post # 8
2693 posts
Sugar bee

Plus international travel?? Insane. 

Post # 9
47440 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

The couple is being ridiculous. I’ll bet if the groom was home in the UK he would have chosen a different suit.

There is nothing wrong with saying “I can’t afford to be a groomsman, but I would love to attend your wedding as a guest”.

Post # 10
1146 posts
Bumble bee

Based on my experience, it depends on the overall group’s consensus. An older and well established wedding party might opt for a more expensive look, but I’ve never really seen the bridesmaids/groomsmen having to pay more than $200-300. If the couple wanted something more expensive, they would usually offset the difference.

On another note. I’m not sure you can get a quality tailored suit for under $400. From what I know, quality tailored suits usually cost anywhere from $600 to custom tailor. Anything cheaper usually as a mix of polyester in it (which adds to the cheap shine you get in the suit) and/or is off the rack and you might end up having to pay a bit to alter it to fit you. If it’s actually one of those one-off fashion suits that you woud not be caught wearing anywhere else, $750 is ridiculous, but for $750 for a 100% high quality wool suit custom tailored, then maybe the price (of the suit itself) is justified.

The expectation for you to pay $750 for any reason though, is not.

Post # 11
3357 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2017

View original reply
Loupyloo :  I’m American. $700 is a pretty standard price for a suit (my FI’s custom suit was $800), but that’s a crazy amount to ask groomsmen to spend for your wedding, especially if they don’t wear regularly wear suits for work or something. Maybe your SO can suggest Indochino to the groom? They do custom suits but are having a 50% off sale right now. So a typically $700 suit is $350. It’s a pretty sweet deal, they’re great quality, and they have a billion different fabric and style options. 

Post # 12
722 posts
Busy bee

View original reply
Loupyloo :  good lord that’s absurd! Our Groomsmen suit rentals are ~$120. I would tell them sorry you can’t afford that and if it means not being a Groomsmen, you’ll see them at the wedding as a guest!

Post # 13
1671 posts
Bumble bee

View original reply
Loupyloo :  Yes, it’s normal for the bridal party to purchase their own attire, but usually men rent their suits, they aren’t required to buy them. $700 is ridiculous and I would never expect anyone in my bridal party to pay that even if they could easily afford it.

The topic ‘$750 for groomsmen outfits….is this normal?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors