8 bridesmaids: Too much or okay?

posted 1 month ago in The Lounge
Post # 2
1201 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2016

8 is totally fine. Its whatever you want it to be 🙂 Just pick the people you think you will still be friends with long-term, not just people who are in your friend group now.

Note: I did not read the whole post.

Post # 3
1831 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: March 2017

Ask yourself-would you have included Anna if you were in her bridal party or if she didn’t even have a wedding? It should be about who you are closest to. And it sounds like she chose her family over friends, so it’s not like she included all these friends of hers and excluded you. Some people want their family to be in their bridal parties and there’s nothing wrong with that. Maybe she felt family pressure or that asking everyone of her friend group would be too much on top of having family.

Anyways, 8 is fine as long as you’re prepared for the extra costs. Every extra bridesmaid is another bouquet, another rehearsal dinner seat, an extra gift, etc etc. But I see plenty of brides in my area who have 8-10. One even had 15!

Post # 4
46328 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

Anna has shown you that it is possible to not ask everyone who is in your friend group to be in the bridal party. Your friends have an alternative to be by your side as guests.

Post # 5
38 posts
Newbee

I think you should do whatever you really want to do.  For me, 8 sounds awful and way too much, but I know people that had a hard time keeping it to 10 or so.  Whatever floats your boat dear 🙂

Post # 6
3036 posts
Sugar bee

Too much IMO. I would probably just ask your sister and not his. If he wants them, they can be on his side. I also don’t think its fair to force him to take your brother on his side either. 

That said, if you want 8 and he only wants 3/4, I think its fine. I just imagine trying to coordinate anything with 8 people a nightmare lol. 

Post # 7
402 posts
Helper bee

Personally, I think 8 is stressful and unnecessary. You can invite some ladies to get ready with you on the day but don’t necessarily even need to have a bridal party. 

Post # 8
1421 posts
Bumble bee

Your SO can invite his best friend to be a groomsman without you inviting his girlfriend to be your bridesmaid. 

You can be in the wedding of someone who is also planning a wedding. 

Post # 9
197 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2017

I had 8 and it was totally fine. I don’t think it made anything more stressful, but it did make things more expensive and harder for me to buy the group things (for example $100 earrings x 8 people = $800 on earrings => find cheaper earrings). Think long term, 5 years from now who do you think you want to have had in your bridal party? 

Post # 10
1751 posts
Buzzing bee

8 seems like a nightmare. We went the opposite route and had just a Maid/Matron of Honor and best man. My friends were thrilled they could just attend as guests.

Post # 11
116 posts
Blushing bee

I have 10 bridesmaids, and my Fiance has 4 groomsmen. It’s crazy, but that’s my life. I have 4 sisters, a cousin, my Future Sister-In-Law, and 4 friends. While I wish it were a smaller number, that’s just not my life. And it’s important to me to include all the people in my life who are my go tos, my people. You do what feels best for you. Manageable is no fun anyway! 

Post # 12
1680 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2017

Wow that’s a lot of bridesmaids either way! I asked one girl out of semi-obligation (she would have been the only girl left out of our friend group), and I am really glad I did. She was lovely and supportive the whole time, much more so than I expected, and our friendship definitely grew becasue of it. So I have no advice other than: it might not be a disaster to include everyone. 

Post # 13
1075 posts
Bumble bee

Have your sister be the Maid/Matron of Honor, and skip all the potential bridesmaids. Invite them all as guests. Problem solved.

Post # 14
1307 posts
Bumble bee

Either ask all 8 of them, or make it just family: your sister and his two sisters.

Post # 15
8 posts
Newbee

To me 8 bridesmaids is fine. If that’s the friends you have and you want them up there, do it! 8 bridesmaids and 4 groomsman just have each groomsman walk two ladies up the isle! 🙂

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors