.8 Carats?

posted 8 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
6015 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: March 2012

You could go to the jewelry store and try a bunch of different sized carats on… that way you could see for sure.  If your looking on line hand size and size of the zoom will make it harder to get an accurate idea.

Post # 4
132 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

Ooh, I can help with this one! Mine is just over .8–I think it’s a .86–and I can’t remember my ring size, but it’s around a 5, maybe a little smaller. (I think the carat:ring size ratio is more useful for figuring out how a ring will look on your finger than carat size alone.)

I agree with the girl above, though–trying things on was really helpful for me. I don’t usually wear much jewelry, so my ring feels really flashy to me (which I love), but I knew I didn’t want something huge. Our (really lovely) saleslady gave me a much bigger one to start off (like a 1.2 or 1.3) and I couldn’t get it off fast enough. But obviously that’s a matter of personal preference.

Sorry about the huge picture–I took it a day or two after we got engaged, and was a wee bit excited…

Post # 5
5657 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: February 2012

I think you should try them on your finger yourself to see if you like the size on your hand. 

Or, you could print out a something like this to see if the sizes suit you (The chart I linked is for moissanite sizes, but they’re equivalent to diamond sizes)

Post # 7
8738 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2011

@pisces36: Do you have a girlfriend you could go with? You could go with one of your friends and both try on rings for fun.

Post # 8
125 posts
Blushing bee

I would just go by yourself when you’re at the mall.  My (then) boyfriend asked me to do that before he proposed so that I could get ideas about what I wanted, and give him an idea.  I have a 0.5 carat ring, which is perfect, because I didn’t like the way 1 carat stones looked on my finger.

Post # 9
132 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

@pisces36: I second Kat’s idea. You could even go after a movie or coffee or something, instead of making a special trip out of it. That way, if he ever finds out, you could just be like “Oh, there were these gorgeous earrings in the window that we wanted to look at, and all of a sudden X was like “let’s try on rings!”, so we both did!”

Also, I understand your qualms, but if you guys have talked about marriage, etc., I don’t think it’s going behind his back. He will probably ask you or your friends what sorts of rings you like, and it’s much easier to answer that question if you’ve tried things on. Besides, once you know he’s the one, it’s hard not to think about these things! Really, when you think about it, it’s more a proof of your commitment to him than a betrayal ;-).

Post # 10
3871 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

Not all 0.8 carat rings are the same.  It depends on the shape  and cut of the diamond.

Here is something that can give you a rough estimate on the size of a 0.8 carat ring.

Plus, if you click on the right hand side of the site, it shows you how different shapes affect the carat size.

My now husband took me pretend shopping and I give him some things I look for in a ring.  That’s how I got my pear cut diamond.  I think it is .76 carat.

Oh, also the size of your finger also affects how big or small it can look.  I think I have an average ring size of 5.75.

The last picture is my solitare e-ring with my wedding band which is a ring wrap.

Oh, I found a photo of my e-ring.

Post # 11
1165 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

I agree that you should go try some on because you really don’t know until you see it on your hand.  But, here’s mine, center stone is .81

Post # 12
1729 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

Maybe this link will help you. I also second the point made that the stone-to-finger size ratio is most important in figuring out what you want. A .8 on a size 3 ring is going to look much larger then the same stone on a size 7, for example. Good luck!

Post # 13
322 posts
Helper bee

Here’s mine (my ring size is 5.75):

Post # 14
5572 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

Here’s mine, its .8 something, I dont remember what.

[attachment=1580332,197554]

Post # 15
5153 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2010

my ring is just under a 1C and here it is on my size 6 finger

Post # 16
1108 posts
Bumble bee

That, I can do!  The center shiny, it is .81ct of heart-shaped awesome.  The side stones, I don’t know exactly their total.  

I wish I could tell you my ring size, but in our haste to have things settled before we had to leave town, I’ve got a ton (srsly) of sizing balls in the bottom.  The jeweler suspected I’d be maybe a 6, so she had the balls added for that, and then another after those didn’t work, and my plastic ring-sizer tells me about 5.5/5.75.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors