(Closed) 8 days until wedding, losing my voice!!

posted 5 years ago in Wellness
Post # 3
2073 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

Drink lots of fluids.  Herbal teas with honey are soothing. Avoid caffeine. Try to rest your voice as much as possible. Don’t whisper…it strains the vocal cords further, but just talk at a lower volume. Try to get as much sleep as you can.  Don’t excessively clear your throat…bad for the vocal cords.  (I’m a speech therapist who has treated a few patients with voice disorders…throat clearing and chronic unproductive cough were huge issues). 

hope you feel better soon

Post # 4
3195 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

@emricmacy:  when you get to work, whisper that you’ve lost your voice and can’t answer the phones. don’t talk for three days and drink a shit load of water. if you keep talking itll last longer.

Post # 6
2073 posts
Buzzing bee

Oh and suck on some kind of hard candy. That often helps as well.  

ETA if you think you have strep or it suddenly get hard to breathe got to an ER or a walkin clinic. Strep tests are quick and the sooner you get on antibiotics, the better.  

Post # 9
307 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2015

Try a warm water salt gargle.  Always helps me.

Post # 10
2073 posts
Buzzing bee

@emricmacy:  As gross as it sounds, try to spit out the phlegm instead of clearing your throat.  

Post # 11
Hostess
11167 posts
Sugar Beekeeper

@emricmacy:  Then limit talking to just work related stuff and keep quiet for the remaining parts of the day. Vocal rest is so important when you start to lose your voice, so take those moments when you have them.

Post # 13
3265 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2014

This just happened to me! From the throat clearing, to hardly any phlegm, everything sounds exactly like what I’m getting over. It lasted 2 days. Today is my third day and I’m actually feeling A LOT better. Not 100% but definitely a serious improvement on my voice and everything.

I hope what you’ve got is just the same thing as me. It’s getting passed around here like wildfire but everyone’s only been down for 2 days.

ETA: I didn’t use any hard candies. I figured it’d make my throat more… phlegmy feeling even though I really couldn’t bring anything up.

Post # 14
2073 posts
Buzzing bee

@emricmacy:  you could always try some kind of cough drop that is meant to be soothing. I don’t have any specific recommendations. Perhaps ask at the pharmacy counter which one the pharmacist recommends. 

Post # 16
3265 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2014

@emricmacy:  The receptionist came in here Monday getting over it (3rd day) and I got it Tuesday. BAM. Overnight. It was crazy. I surprised myself when I tried to say something to Fiance Tuesday morning and I barely had any voice.

The topic ‘8 days until wedding, losing my voice!!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors