8 month old feeding schedule

posted 1 week ago in Babies
Post # 2
1332 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: February 2011

Is she having breastmilk or formula at daycare?

Post # 3
9013 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2013

breast milk or formula is primary nutrients before 1.  she should be getting her bottle first then food.

6 hours between bottles is a long time.  at 8 months, i would still be doing bm/f every 3-4 hours.

Post # 4
6454 posts
Bee Keeper

KKJohnson :  I definitely think you’re right in that the bottles need to be spaced out through the day, not just 2 back to back in the afternoon, but now that she’s on solids and water you won’t need as much breastmilk since it sounds like you’re still nursing at home. 4 bottles at this age is probably too much especially with that much solid food. 

Post # 7
6454 posts
Bee Keeper

KKJohnson :  25 ounces of breastmilk at daycare is MASSIVE. Babies only need about 25 ounces all day and you’re still nursing before and after daycare (and maybe through the night?). When my daughter was that age she was still taking anywhere from 9-12 ounces while I was at work (apart for 10ish hours) as she always had and then added in the solids. At that age we only sent in 1 serving of solids to serve as “lunch”. 

Post # 8
1332 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: February 2011

LilliV :  yup, the general rule of thumb is 1-1.5oz of breastmilk per hour so 25 ounces is a tonne of milk!

Based on a three hourly bottle schedule I’d expect baby to take 3-5 ounces per feed, I’d also possibly back off on the water so that she’s thirsty for breastmilk rather filling up on water (and too much water isn’t good for babies).

i would also direct the daycare to offer a bottle before solids so they’re not wasting all that precious milk that you’re pumping!

Post # 9
155 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

At 8 months, my son breastfed first thing in the morning, twice during the day, and right before bed. I would feed him when he woke up for the day/after naps, and then give solids sometime after that. To be honest, he hasn’t been that into eating during the day for a while now, like will only eat 2-3 min with me constantly trying to keep him paying attention. So it sounds like she is getting plenty of milk during the day to me. 

As a side note re: constipation, my son seems to put a lot of effort into it even when it is soft, apparently they need to get used to having actual solid food moving through. Also, I don’t know what type of baby food you mean, but if it is cereal then large amounts of carbs can make it difficult for them. If she is getting purées with fruits/veggies then maybe try one with extra fibre or prunes or something?

Post # 12
364 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2017

I guess I’m confused about what you’re looking for. You mentioned that you’d like to address the problem with the daycare not following your new instructions, so I’d probably approach this two fold. 1, try your new system at home and see if she is in fact spitting up. If not, then 2., speak with the director/manager/person in charge.  You might also try different types of baby foods. My son and daughter were vastly different in their preferences and consumption amounts at that age- maybe she just doesn’t like what she’s eating? Also, with regard to the sippy cups, agree on introducing them, but I think most pediatricians would suggest (I’m not one, but my husband is and I’ve heard him give this advice many timeS) that you put formula or breast milk in the cup- not water particularly if you’re concerned about low/slow/no weight gain. PP is correct- babies are still getting the majority of their calories from breast milk or formula until around a year and the food introduction is more about the mechanics of learning to eat than the calories from babyfood.  Lastly, if your babe is on the small side and your doc is suggesting weight gain, you might ask your doc about a weight gaining formula supplement with your breast milk. My niece was and is still very underweight (she just made the scales at 2years at the 4th percentile) and they’re still supplementing her (now cows milk) with weight gaining formula. Good luck! 

Post # 13
514 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: January 2016

No answers, but it’s frustrating that a daycare won’t even attempt to follow your requests. That’s hard and feels unfair. You’d think that a place that you’re paying and entrusting with the care of your child would feel more obligated to adhere to what feels like a reasonable request. Is the problem that all the caregivers are busy giving milk to the other babies who get dropped off earlier at the time that you want her to be fed? I still think they should be able to manage to give her the number of bottles that you stipulate at fairly regular intervals.

Post # 14
944 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 1995

What if you brought in a note from your pediatrician?  

Post # 15
856 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2016

No one has brought this up yet but:

Is daycare pace feeding her bottles? This could explain everything from eating 25 oz a day while away from you and spitting up if she is eating too quickly and not getting the signal that she is full.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors