(Closed) 8 month old suddenly waking up every night? Tips?

posted 5 years ago in Babies
Post # 2
4505 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

Our baby went through phases where she woke up at night all throughtout the first year. She didn’t start consistently sleeping through the night (by which I mean about 12-13 hours solid) until she turned about 1. I also noticed that these periods where she;d wake up coincided with times when she seemed to be going through a big milestone, as it sounds like your daughter is. 

So, all that is to say that it’s normal, and it will definitely pass. 

Anyway, onto what to do in the meantime. What do you guys do when she wakes up in the middle of the night? Our strategy was to do the most minimal intervention/disruption as possible. So if she woke up screaming & crying, we’d go check on her, but in the most minimal way possible. We’d make sure everything was ok with her, give her a quick hug to reassure her, and tell her that it’s still nighttime and it’s not time to get up yet. Then we’d leave the room. She would usually go back to sleep after that, maybe after crying a little bit, which we would sometimes have to just ignore (after making sure she was ok, of course). Her periods of sleep disruption never lasted more than a week or so for us. We just were very consistent about not going in her room a ton in the middle of the night, and she realized it was better just to keep sleeping. 

Post # 4
9811 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2013

I would just wait it out, it will pass.  Also sounds entirely normal to me ^^.  Babies sleep patterns change a lot!

Post # 5
3586 posts
Sugar bee

Katie-Didnt:  is your baby possibly starting to get some teeth in? Your baby is growing and her body is changing.  It can be anything it comes with age. My daughter slept all night and day when she was first born.  As she got a little older she woke up at night and i would have to rock her to sleep. It’s just the good old parts of parenthood.  Welcome to the getting no sleep at night club!

Post # 6
2125 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

even my good sleeper can have issues with waking…it will hit for a few days and then go back to normal…I always thought maybe teething, maybe tummy trouble, but it always seems to pass eventually, just give it time. 

The topic ‘8 month old suddenly waking up every night? Tips?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors