(Closed) 8 months pregnant and doctor is no longer doing deliveries!

posted 6 years ago in Pregnancy
Post # 3
2104 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

Are there any other doctors in his office?  Two doctors in my office just retired, and most of their patients just transferred to another doctor in the office.  My friend had to switch at 6-7 months pregnant.

Post # 5
2104 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

@roxy821:  Hmm.  I guess this late in the game, I’d go over your birth plan if you have one.

Post # 6
2695 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

This same thing happened to my cousin’s girlfriend.  Her doctor retired.  I don’t understand why they would take on a pregnant patient knowing they won’t be around for delivery??!! 

I would think you should ask her how long has she been delivering babies.  What about on-call will someone else deliver if she isn’t able to?

Post # 8
341 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

As long as they’re bringing in another doctor to handle deliveries, I wouldn’t stress too much, I would just put together a birth plan so that the other doctor knows what you prefer.  It does stink though!  My OB/GYN has about 8 doctors in the practice, and you’ll get whoever’s on call the day that you go into labor (not necessarily your own doctor)…so that’s probably just what we’ll do as well.

Post # 9
1482 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

That sucks.. 🙁 But you know what? My doctor was on vacation when I had my baby (he was 3 weeks early). Another doctor from the same practice delivered my baby, and I could have cared less. She showed up when I checked into the hospital to introduce herself, and she showed up again to deliver the baby and stitch me up. At that point, Santa Claus could have been kneeling at the foot of my bed and I would have been just as happy.

I guess my point is, find out what the plan is for who is to deliver your baby since your doctor won’t be there. It might make you feel better to at least know what the plan is.

Post # 10
341 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

@Miss Root:  Hahaha Santa Claus!  My husband said the same thing when my doctor said we get whoever’s on call that day…he was like, “honey, at that point, you’re not going to care who or what is there…”  Smile

Post # 11
9668 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: April 2019

go over your birth plan, ask her what her experience is, make sure you are completely comfortable with her!

Post # 13
92 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

My son came so quickly, the nurse. Ended up delivering him.  The doctor got there for the after birth and stitching.

The topic ‘8 months pregnant and doctor is no longer doing deliveries!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors