(Closed) 8 reasons not to send your daughter to college..

posted 7 years ago in The Lounge
Post # 17
716 posts
Busy bee

View original reply
@mistress_anne:  well girls might *gasp* have sex and *gasp* get pregnant, thus losing the only thing they have going for them – their virginity.  It’s about control.

View original reply
@lealorali:  Sadly, there are.  And people are still saying, “Oh, there’s no war on women.”  Then, what is this, ya know.

Post # 18
1812 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2013 - Pavilion overlooking golf course scenery, reception at banquet hall

General tip for life: Avoid any organization with the word “family” in their name. Not that families are bad, just the organizations with the word in their names.

Post # 19
521 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

I have no words.  How infuriating!  If your daughter has the standards and morals you are lauding and surely raised her with, then obviously #s 1 and 2 should be of no issue.  Are you saying you cannot trust your perfectly raised little girl to choose a good, successful man, or to stay away from temptation?

Just WOW!  How close-minded.

Post # 20
5540 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: December 2011

What a load of crap. I think the issue here comes from both sides, the idea of true feminism should be the choice, to be highly educated and work forever, to be highly educated and stay home and raise your family, to not continue your formal education and raise a family, or whatever you choose and works for your family. The judgement from both sides is bs.

Post # 22
2453 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2017

@#$$!*!!!  This makes me so freaking angry.

For the record, I’m Catholic.  I apologize for all this terrible s*** that was written.  We don’t all think like that.  Hell, my very Catholic family- especially my grandmother and aunt- are all really proud of me for going to college and being able to provide for myself.

This is BS.  Absolute BS.

Post # 23
2571 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

View original reply
@aggie2010:  That’s a good point. Wasn’t Focus on the Family some really homophobic group?

Post # 24
11736 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

@Kandiss16:  4 is pretty much the only semi sane one.  The rest are ridiculous. I find it hilarious this is on a “fix the family” website.  All of the hardcore Christian women I know that didn’t go to college got married and pregnant very young and are now divorced and not in a good place financially.  Interesting how that works.  DH has 10 aunts/uncles and they’re all super bible beaters except for 2 of the 10.  Guess who are the only 2 out of the 10 who didn’t have AT LEAST one child get pregnant as a teenager out of wedlock?!  Yep, the 2 that aren’t super religious.  

I’m not religious by any stretch of the word and I made it through college just fine only sleeping with 1 guy despite all that sin around me.  Religion does not necessarily mean you have good morals and values and lack of religion doesn’t mean you lack morals and values. 

It’s hard for me to even fathom there are people so ignorant in this world. Very scary.

Post # 25
621 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

I think alot of these are vaild concerns, however he’s overreacting and its on the parents to teach their kids right and wrong.

Post # 26
4522 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

This philosophy is not that uncommon in certain sects of “Christianity.” I went to college with several girls who left early because of parental pressure to be homemakers. In additon, I knew quite a few homeschooling groups that do not believe in women going to college or getting even a highschool education because it is contrary to “God’s calling.”

If any of you grew up in this type of homeschooling community, you will know who these ladies are:

“Above Rubies: Encouraging Women in Their Higher Calling as Wives, Mothers and Homemakers.”

http://aboverubies.org/

Also, these ones:

“Visionary Daughters”

http://visionarydaughters.com/

Anyone ever heard of the “Quiverfull” movement? All of these go hand in hand, their goal being to train their daughters in ‘biblical Christianity.’

This mindset is, sadly, growing in quite a few churches.

Post # 27
456 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

There are Catholic colleges and religious universities out there for a reason. If you’re so afraid of sending your precious daughter out into the real world, send them there, where they will be sheltered for at least 4 more years. What I think is the most laughable is that these parents/leaders think that by sheltering their children as much as possible, they will somehow prevent them from succumbing to the terrible, “godless” world that the rest of us live in. You can’t do that forever, and at some point, your daughter will have to mingle with other human beings who aren’t the same religion as they are, and they will have to “survive” it. But hey, while we’re at it, let’s also keep our women as uneducated and close-minded as possible, so they can’t possibly question our teachings or think for themselves.

Post # 28
3723 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

View original reply
@Kandiss16:  I know it is still valuable and I love SAHMs. It is just frustrating to me that we can’t offer women who want to work affordable child care. THAT’s what seems sad to me sometimes.

Post # 29
2453 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2017

I have to give them credit though…  I’m reading through the comments on the article, and not one seriously agrees with it.  The ones that agree say they can afford a beach house.  Somehow I’m thinking it’s a joke. 😉

ETA: Found a few that promote this article’s viewpoint, but then they are hit with an onslaught of comments.  My faith in humanity is restored.

Post # 30
671 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

What these people need is an education from the back of my hand! argh!

Post # 31
621 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

@SoccerBee86

alot of Catholic Universities are not very catholic at all, so I can see how this can be scary!

The topic ‘8 reasons not to send your daughter to college..’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors