(Closed) 8 Weeks and showing alot. Normal?

posted 6 years ago in Pregnancy
Post # 3
14444 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

My friend experienced the same thing.. she said a lot of people say its normal to show a lot earlier for a second pregnancy.  And that chalkboard and picture idea is so cute! … I’m totally stealing that when I get pregnant.  πŸ™‚

Post # 4
4073 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2018

You have a very similar stance to me, you have an arched back so maybe that is exaggerating your belly.  That said, twins could be a likely possibility.  I imagine you have a scan booked for 12 weeks (thats the usual in the UK) so you’ll be able to find out then.  Or, perhaps your dates are out (unlikely but still).  I wouldn’t worry about it anyway πŸ™‚

Post # 6
4073 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2018

@MarryMeTiffany:  Could you ask to have one done earlier?  I don’t know how it works in the US, or if it’ll be prcey or whatever.  Twins sound like a plausable reason.  Let us know what happens, don’t count your chickens just yet πŸ™‚  Twins run in my family too.

Post # 7
1052 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2011

My sister in law baaaarely showed with her first pregnancy until she was about 6 months. With her second pregnancy,  she was already showing by the time she got a positive pregnancy test. Once the abdominal muscles have stretched to accommodate your first pregnancy, they stretch more easily and quickly with any subsequent pregnancies.

Post # 8
5655 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2011

I showed ALOT earlier this go round than with DS. We actually annouced that we were expecting at 9 weeks b/c there was NO WAY I could hide it any longer. And you having been heavier the last time round will make a big difference too. My friend who is heavier never really “showed” with her pregnancies b/c she didn’t “need” to gain.

I really wouldn’t worry about it… especially if you’re feeling good =)

Post # 9
868 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

It’s normal to show sooner with subsequent pregnancies!

Post # 10
7609 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

I’ve heard this, too, that the second one shows much earlier than the first!  I like your chalkboard idea. πŸ™‚

Post # 11
1855 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

Even if your OB won’t do a scan earlier than 20wks, he/she will still do a heartbeat check around 12wks so you’ll be able to see if there is one heartbeat or two.  Not fool proof, but if you hear two heartbeats, you’ll definitely know πŸ™‚  

I started to really show around 10wks with my son (first full pregnancy), so I’d guess 8wks with #2 isn’t abnormal at all!

Post # 12
7587 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2010

My father guessed that I was pregnant at 10 weeks and there’s only one in there, so it happens.

Post # 13
1115 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

You should definitely ask for an ultrasound earlier than 20 weeks, from what I understand there is a whole different portocol for twins if that’s the case (i.e. they’ll do a lot more ultrasounds and monitor you much more closely bc of the increased risk of preterm labor etc. so you definitely want to know. If they don’t want to do it complimentary, I would offer to pay for a quick one. For us an extra ultrasound was only $50 when we opted to have one to find out the gender early.

ETA: I know it’s common to show earlier with pregnancy number two, but you already have way more of a bump than me @17.5 weeks! I think there is a definite poss. for twins.

Post # 14
9631 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: April 2019

i think that is normal πŸ™‚ my cousin is really tiny, took ages to show for her first pregnancy, but with her second she showed sooner πŸ™‚

Post # 15
241 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: January 2012

It is normal.  Some women show earlier than others and with second and third pregnancies women show much sooner than they did with their first. I am already showing (I’m also 8 weeks), and it is my first pregnancy.  U/S confirmed there was only 1 baby in there.  I was concerned at first until I talked to my mom. The women in my family always show very early in pregnancy.  

Post # 16
2815 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

Just an FYI, my mom didn’t know she was having twins after they did the fetal heartbeat.  It still sounded like there was one baby in there.  πŸ™‚

The topic ‘8 Weeks and showing alot. Normal?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors