8 weeks to go and I’m starting to second guess my dress!

posted 1 year ago in Dress
Post # 31
554 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2017

If you really cant make the dress work, ASOS does bridal now and they have some stuff thats in the style I think you’re looking for? I think a light petticoat  is exactly what the doctor ordered, I agree with PP’s that big curls and a flowers crown is the way to go Xx

Post # 32
2482 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

View original reply
PufflingPink :  First, is that a kitty sleeping on the bed in the photos on page 1? So cute!  Second, find a new seamstress and ask her to adjsut the fit on the bodice; it’s too loose and drapey as-is. Would you be open to altering the neckline? It sits a bit high on you and doesn’t flatter your bust. Something with a slightly deeper v-neck or scoop-neck that shows off your collarbones would be so lovely. Adding a simple satin or grosgrain ribbon belt would accentuate your waist without being too distracting. Another vote here for a petticoat, especially since the dress is so heavy. 

Lastly, you are gorgeous! Love the hair and makeup trial! It’s soft and romantic with just a hint of sultry. Perfect! 

Post # 33
81 posts
Worker bee

I agree with the new alterations being needed. I personally think a more vintage hairstyle would really bring out the dress. Curls around the face would be stunning swept up into an updo. Photos to show example. 

PufflingPink :  

Post # 34
459 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2019

I love your updo and think it definitely goes with your dress and style. An other option could be a half updo, if you still want some lose hair, but as I said, the updo looks just right.

And I also really like your make-up!

Don’t worry, you’re going to look so stunning on your wedding day!

Post # 36
40 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: August 2019

You have such a beautiful face!! 

I love the first dress that bellabelle12 posted, i think with the waist in that style it would look incredible. Also agree with trying it out with a belt and see how it looks after the waist has been adjusted properly. 

Keep us updated!

Post # 37
336 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2019 - City, State

Yes! So glad you found a place to get it altered. 

So ignore my first advice about bustling; that was just an emergency stopgap If you hated the hemline and couldn’t get it fixed. 

A petticoat: I would go with something A-line, that’s more about layers of draping fabric rather than something that adds too much fullness. Stay away from crinolines, etc!

this dress is more leaning towards Edwardian lines, so you’d want to ideally get it as fitted as possible through the bust and waist (there’s definitely extra fabric there just under your bust, causing some unnecessary folds that head down toward the waist.) 

and then the skirt will flow more freely. 

Wear the heels or flats you plan to wear so they can hem it properly too. It shouldn’t drag on the ground in front – that messes up the line of the dress, and makes it look like you’re swimming in it. It may be what’s having you feel “weighted down” by it. 

BUT! If you plan to add a petticoat do let them know; the dress would fall differently. They may have sample petticoats for you to try under it so they can get a good mark for their hemline. 

A simple waist detail would also help. Ribbon belt with a few flowers at the side, or bow.

Also, corset under the dress, if you want to go nuts with perfecting the line. I loveeeeee corsets ๐Ÿ˜›

so glad you got an appointment. Yay! Can’t wait to see the final look. 

And: you’re beautiful. It will be absolutely stunning. Hope you’re back to a place of having fun with this!

going to try to attach a few photos of slip examples. These are historical so they’ll have a bit more fabric than you really want. it doesn’t need to be exactly this…

But stay away from any hoops, crinolines or scratchy netting!! Draped fabrics are your aesthetic  for Edwardian/boho

(Found these on Etsy) 

Adding some lace cuff detail might be fun ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

(This one has far too much fabric. But you get the picture.. you want to feel fitted through your waist, and lush/ abundant below knees, with a bit more behind.) 

Post # 38
4023 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: November 2019 - Canada

View original reply
PufflingPink :  I think your dress is pretty but it’s just not fitting you correctly! I love your hair and makeup trials, that will look great with your dress, especially if you can add the retro front curls another bee posted!! I’m happy to hear you found a new tailor to take your dress to, if you have it taken in around your rib cage, that will change things dramatically. The extra fabric is causing unflattering lines to your hips, which I think is what makes you feel the way you do. I love the dresses 
View original reply
bellabelle12 posted, I’m sure a quality tailor will be able to make yours look similar to the first one!  Keep us posted!

Post # 39
4173 posts
Honey bee

View original reply
PufflingPink :  your hair and makeup trail look amazing. I might add a little more blush because photos can wash you out a bit.

Also, looking at the front view of the dress – you need a better bra, girl. Take your dress to Nordstroms (if you have one) or another good bra shop (not VS) and work with them to find you a great bra (before your seamstress appointment) that makes your tatas look spectacular. Right now your bra is doing you no favors. 

Post # 41
4023 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: November 2019 - Canada

View original reply
PufflingPink :  AWESOME update OP! This is great news, I’m so glad you didn’t throw in the towel and accept the dress as it was AND that you went alone so you get exactly what you want. Please come back & share pics once the alterations are finished!

Post # 42
742 posts
Busy bee

I’m glad you were able to figure it out ๐Ÿ˜Š I’m sure it’s going to look amazing! Do update us when it’s finished! 

Post # 43
162 posts
Blushing bee

I just read this post and I thought in the original pics the dress definitely made you look rather frumpy, and at first was like uh-uh.. nope… 

Then I saw your update, and I am glad that you found out the old seamstress was largely the cause of your poor dress’s issues and that you have found a place that has reassured you. Hopefully they can transform your dress into the dress of your dreams! Now I can’t wait to see more updates on how your dress turns out! ^_^

Post # 44
3361 posts
Sugar bee

View original reply
PufflingPink :  Boho styling can go beyond the flower crowns – it can also incorporate statement pieces, somewhat dramatic. That is what I would recommend, not a demure look, but something bold, different:

Post # 45
43 posts
Newbee

I haven’t read any previous comments, and I have only seen the photo you posted on the first page.

Honesty: The dress looks far too big for you in every way, and makes you look shapeless. =(

I’m no tailor and am hopeless with advice on how to fix. Hopefully everyone else has given you good advice on what can be done.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors