(Closed) 8 weeks?

posted 6 years ago in Pregnancy
Post # 2
4160 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

My last period was November 15th and I’m 11 weeks today.  I ovulate late, so I always have to explain to whoever I’m talking to while booking appointments that I’m later than what they think I am based on my last period.  I got an ultrasound at 7w+4d so even if you’re earlier than 8 weeks, they should be able to date you by measuring the baby.

Congratulations!

ETA: I went in on Friday and the doctor didn’t want to try  to hear the heartbeat yet because she said it would be hard, and didn’t want to worry me if we couldn’t hear it. I saw the heartbeat on the ultrasound though, so that was good enough for me ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 3
2211 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

Yay baby!  Congratulations!  ๐Ÿ˜€

Yes, it’s ridiculous that many health professionals won’t listen to what you know about your body when it comes to pregnancy dating.  My sister told me to lie about when my LMP started because I KNEW when I ovulated, so I just told them 2 weeks before that date (and so far all ultrasounds have agreed the baby’s gestation is within 1 day of that date). 

Basically, I started my last period October 4, but knew I ovulated on the 21st, so my story has been October 7th and I’ve been sticking to it.  My case isn’t too extreme, but folks who have much longer cycles that they’ve been tracking may benefit from bending the truth, to avoid unnecessary interventions when it comes time to give birth.

That all being said, this is my first pregnancy as well and I think second guessing everything is part of it!  It’s an exciting and nerve wracking time.

Chances are, even if you’re 6-7 weeks they’ll probably still be able to see a heartbeat.  I had my first ultrasound at 6w1d and we saw it.  ๐Ÿ™‚  My doc said that is a bit early, though, so if for some reason you DON’T see one, it may not mean anything.

We didn’t hear the baby’s heartbeat until about 13 weeks.

Post # 4
9820 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

Most likely they will do a trans vaginal ultrasound and you’ll see the heartbeat on there. My OB doesn’t even attempt to listen with a doppler that early.

Post # 5
1972 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

Congrats!

I had long irregular cycles too….when I made my first prenatal appointment, I lied about my LMP because I knew it wouldn’t be worth it to go in early. Once I saw my midwife, I told her my LMP was actually Oct 15th, not Oct 29th but that I O’d on Nov 12th. I had a copy of my chart but she said it wasn’t necessary and she trusts that I know my body.

It sounds like your dr’s office is going off your LMP. There will be no harm in going in if you want to, like PPs said, they will probably do a transvaginal u/s and it will be clear that you are not as far along as they assume.

Post # 6
6411 posts
Bee Keeper

View original reply
mrsbree:  Congratulations!  They usually go off of your last period date but that doesn’t mean it’s always accurate.  When I was pregnant, I went in on May 21st, and was originally told I must be 7 weeks along.  But it turned out I ovulated late, and was only 5 weeks along.  So it’s not always an exact science.

Post # 7
1770 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

my last period ws Dec 18 and they say I am exactly 7 weeks today.

Post # 8
4500 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

Congrats! My advice is to assume that the baby is not as far along as they think — that way, if you don’t hear a heartbeat yet, you won’t be disappointed. They should really be calling it a “dating ultrasound” and not an “8 week ultrasound.”

Post # 10
356 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2011 - Laurel Rock Farms, PA

My last period was Dec 11th.  We conceived on Dec 24/25 and I am 8 weeks 5 days today. 

Congratulations

Post # 11
3728 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: City, State

View original reply
Ryansgirl:  My last period was 12/19 which would make me 7 weeks 4 days if I ovulated normally. But I ovulated late and implanted late, so I only measured 6 weeks and 2 days today. They are going to do another ultrasound in 10 days to follow up, so it is possible you are 8 weeks and it is also possible you aren’t ๐Ÿ™‚

Good luck!

Post # 12
9541 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2013

I wouldn’t worry about it! Go in and get the scan and then you’ll have a better idea of how far along you are. Don’t worry if you don’t see the heartbeat, it may just be that you’re not as far along as your LMP would suggest. Generally OBs will change your EDD if your dating is more than a week off your LMP. Within a week it doesn’t really make much difference. 

Post # 13
74 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: February 2012

You could be anywhere from 4 – 8 weeks pregnant. It really depends on when you ovulate, but because they go off of your last period and assume that you have a 28 day cycle (ovulating on day 14) that is how they come to the conclusion of 8 weeks. If you ovulated on day 28 of your cycle you would only be around 6 weeks pregnant. If you ovulated later you could be less pregnant. Once you go for your ultrasound you’ll get a better idea. Don’t be alarmed if they tell you you are measuring small for 8 weeks and you may not even be 8 weeks. 

The topic ‘8 weeks?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors