(Closed) $800 cake with delivery,OR $250 cake with no delivery????

posted 7 years ago in Food
Post # 3
2320 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

@Earlybride: If your having a crazy elaborate cake, then I would be lery about having a ‘non’ professional deliver it. But if it’s just a traditional stacked cake than I think your Fiance and bestmen can handle it.

Post # 3
916 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

I’m having my cake delivered, but I’m having groomsmen people pick up our flower arrangements.  Can your Fiance and bro/best man swing by early and pick up the cake and bring it to the venue before they even start getting ready?  That is a huuuge price difference.  If I were you, I’d go with the cheaper one!

Post # 3
1686 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

I’d be all over that 250 dollar cake too, especially if it’s a good bakery! Maybe your aunt has some ideas on how best to transport it, seeing as she works there?

Post # 4
285 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

Ok I recently carried a wedding cake like 200 yds to a fridge and it was one of the most nerve-racking experiences of my life. And guess what, we bumped it slightly on the lip of the fridge. Luckily you couldn’t tell unless you were right on top of it and that part went to the back anyway.  So I might be tempted to go for the one with delivery just so that a professional had that responsibility.  

Post # 5
2095 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

We are having ours picked up as well to save on the delivery fees. I agree with a PP that as long as it is not too elaborate then it should be fine…

Post # 6
2018 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: December 2010

Isn’t there anything priced in between?  Or have you eliminated all of those bakeries?  I would be really nervous about transporting and setting up a cake.  At least if they do it, they are responsible for any damage or mishaps.

It just seems like there should be more options here…

Post # 7
7174 posts
Busy Beekeeper

My cake did not have delivery – so, I got a friend to pick it up.  It was about a 30 minute trip between the cake place and the venue.  They packed it up fine and the venue staff put it on their cake stand.  It was fine.

I would NOT task Fiance or any of the groomsmen to do it on the day of.  There’s to much going on and running errands is not what you want them to be worried about.

If it’s a tiered cake – who will be putting together the tiers at the venue?  I’m assuming it wouldn’t come assembled…. that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Post # 8
6823 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

We did the no delivery for ours, due to the delivery cost would have been over $300.00.  My Darling Husband aunt has made wedding cakes and only reason we didn’t ask her to make ours is cause she drove over 10 hrs to our wedding. But we did ask her to put the cake together for us.

Surprise though when Darling Husband, then Fiance picked up the cake the day before it was already put together for us! So his aunt didn’t have to do a thing.  The bakery just told us especially if doing buttercream make sure the vehicle you are using to travel it in has AC and a flat surface!  Our cake arrived in one piece and looked and tasted really good!

Post # 9
1843 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

What about having your aunt deliver and set it up?  It would seem she has experience with such?

Post # 10
230 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2011 - Spring Grove Park & St. George Banquet Center

I’d be nervouis about being responsible for the transportation, too. Wedding cakes can get very heavy, so the more tiers you want the riskier it will be.That is a big price leap, though….

If your Fiance and his crew pick it up, you’ll want it to be early enough so that it doesn’t interfere with them getting ready and enjoying the last moments leading up to the ceremony. Which also means you’ll need a cool place to store it until the reception, so just keep that in mind!

Post # 11
247 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

Cake delivery isn’t so much about skill as making sure that a) the people who are trying to carry it can carry it (cake can get pretty heavy), and b) there’s someone to blame if something goes wrong. Seriously, cake delivery is not rocket science. Nerve-wracking, yes, worth 550 bucks, no.

Post # 14
4887 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

Aren’t there any other options?!?? 

The topic ‘$800 cake with delivery,OR $250 cake with no delivery????’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors