(Closed) 9-10 hour Crock Pot ideas?

posted 5 years ago in Cooking
Post # 3
436 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

Okay, so I have that same issue–and what I do is leave the meat partly frozen. Some people think it makes the food watered down….but it really doesn’t.

Here’s what I use:
4 large chicken breasts (frozen)
1 can Rotel
1 can Beer (full-flavor beers are the best)
1 Tbsp Salt
Pepper to taste
2 Tbsp Lime

Stick it all in the crock pot. Cook for 8-9 hours. When you get home, it’ll be so tender it will shred with ease. Shred the chicken, add 1 can of corn (my husband likes when I leave this out–but I LOVE IT with corn!) and mix it together. Serve in tacos with a bit of shredded monterrey jack. Deee-lish!

Post # 4
1096 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

I leave all of my recipes in for as long as I’m gone, sometimes as long as 11 hours and they’re always delicious as long as it is on low. I make chicken, ribs, beef, stews and many other items in there and have never felt the need to rush home to get it out of the crockpot. I’ve also never felt like anything was overcooked. 

Post # 5
3553 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

I have this in the crockpot right now, it’s been on since 7:00 this morning, so about 11 hours now and it’s fine

Post # 6
77 posts
Worker bee

BBQ.  So easy, and so good. It makes a bunch so you can freeze some to reheat.

2 pounds pork, I use a loin, or whatever is on sale.Butt works well too.

1 can Root Beer.

Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.  Drain, shred, put back in your crock pot and add your favorite bbq sauce.  If you’re going to freeze some, don’t add the bbq sauce to all of it. Take out what you want to freeze first. 

I use diet root beer and it is awesome. Everyone who has ever tried it loves it and thinks it’s great, and super easy.  You can double the recipe, but use 1 can of root beer for every 2 pounds of pork.

Post # 7
993 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

I do pulled pork for a long day – a big fat roast on low with lots of liquid is just fine.  I put in cider vingar, brown sugar, soy sauce and ketchup to cook and then add bbq sauce when i shred it later. mmmm.

Post # 8
4325 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I am so glad you asked this – I have the same issue with crockpot cook times!

@Eckle:  This sounds great. Do you think it would be simple to sub in chicken (i.e., wouldn’t overcook it)?

Post # 10
9074 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

@bella128: +200!

It’s 8:20 AM and I just threw a huge ol’ roast in the pot for dinner tonight. I plan on letting that sucker stew for a while!

Edited: Spelling derp.

Post # 11
1069 posts
Bumble bee

I don’t have any recipes but I’m responding so that I can save this post 🙂

On a side note – has anyone tried a baked potato in the crock pot? I’ve been doing it since I first moved out and they’re so good and easy!

Post # 12
4 posts
Wannabee

A very interesting problem, I really want to talk to you, but sometimes do not know how to answer.

Post # 13
1474 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

Commenting to follow this, but I also have a recipe! One of my favs is to take a large rump roast, a bottle of beer, a packet of Lipton onion soup mix, and several pepperoncinis and some juice from the pepperoncini jar and cook it on low for 9-10 hours. Darling Husband likes to make little sliders by putting the meat on yeast rolls. SO yummy!

Post # 14
4049 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: January 2014

I don’t have a specific recipe, but honestly, it’s hard to go wrong with a crock pot meal. As long as it’s on low, your food isn’t going to overcook in that time. Certain veggies and things might become mush, but that is probably your greatest concern. Meat will be fine! And delicious. And tender. mmmm.

Post # 15
2425 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

@bowsergirl:  Yeah I agree with this, most things cooked on low it won’t make a huge difference if it’s 8 or 10 hours. I usually am gone that long during the day and the only thing that turned into too much mush for me was pasta, so if I want to add pasta to it I just wait until I get home.

Things I normally do in the crop pot for as long as possible: pulled pork, chili, beef stew, really any stew soup is better the longer it cooks. There are a few others but like I said, I wouldn’t NOT do a recipe because I will be gone a couple hours longer than it recommends.

Also, I have a crockpot that is semi-programmable, as in I can set it to cook for 8 hours on low, and after that time is up it will switch itself to a “warm” setting, which is lower temperature so it shouldn’t dry out/makes things too soft, but it’s also hot enough to eat without reheating.

Post # 16
1675 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

I’m planning to make a Thai red curry with chicken in my slow cooker on Thursday. I’ve done it before with good success.

Throw in your chicken (I use 6 skinless, boneless thighs), your preferred amount of red curry paste, a can of coconut milk and some additional fish sauce.

I usually start it when I leave the house around 8:00 a.m. and we don’t eat until 7-ish. I add veggies (bell peppers, broccoli, mushrooms) when I get home from work. Serve over steamed rice.

Post # 17
2674 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2012 - Catholic Church

I’m commenting so I don’t ‘lose’ all of these great recipes!

The topic ‘9-10 hour Crock Pot ideas?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors