(Closed) ADVICE NEEDED! Work blues anyone???

posted 5 years ago in Career
  • poll: Have you ever felt this way?
    yes, all the time! : (18 votes)
    60 %
    yes, from time to time : (12 votes)
    40 %
    not often : (0 votes)
    never : (0 votes)
  • Post # 6
    1825 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: October 2013

I do! I know exactly how you feel. I’ve been out of school for about 6 years now and I STILL feel that way. unfortunately I have no words of advice or encouragement. people always say, do something you’re passionate about and it won’t feel like “work” but I’ve had trouble finding my passion. So for now it’s the 9-5 to pay the bills 🙁

Post # 7
    9057 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2010

Yep, the working world is a little less fulfilling than I imagined it would be.  

Post # 8
    1705 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: March 2012

I felt that way in the beginning, but now there are new and exciting things at work that I never got to experience in school.  I definitely appreciate this more now at 3 years out.

Post # 11
    100 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: August 2014

I have felt this way before too — the best thing is to plan things to look forward and also make career goals on an ongoing basis so that you stay motivated!

Post # 13
    1069 posts
    Bumble bee

Of course I do! But you do get used to it 🙂

Post # 14
    4522 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: September 2010

I feel this way.

In school, you’re always working toward an immediate goal, and ther’s always that next step just over the horizon. Work can feel like this long, vast stretch of emptiness.

The reward system is different, too. In school, if you work hard and write a good paper/do well on an exam, you get a good grade. You really can control your success. At work, I often feel like I do good work, write a good report, or whatever it is — and there’s no reward. It’s just like, ok, thanks, next task. There’s so much more ambiguity and (frankly) BS involved in advancing at work than there is at school, where your performance pretty directly translates into your success. 

And in school, you get to choose what you spend your time doing. You choose your classes because they interest you. At work, sometimes you have to do boring crap that’s completely beneath you, because it has to get done. 

So yeah. I feel this way a lot, and I’m always thinking about how it could be better, or what I could be doing that would be more satisfying. If I get any brilliant ideas, I’ll let you know. 🙂

Post # 15
    2335 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: November 2012

I loved my old job and never felt this way- it was different each day and I felt like I was making a difference.  My current job….UGH.  My motivation is getting a different job.

The topic ‘ADVICE NEEDED! Work blues anyone???’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
    I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors