Baby is not warming up to nanny

posted 2 years ago in Babies
Post # 61
2439 posts
Buzzing bee

I’m sure I’m in the minority here, and you guys will ultimately need to decide if you’re comfortable with it, but I was a full-time nanny paid “under the table” for 3 years. And by a Coca-Cola executive who definitely knew the risks. At that point in my life, I was a LOT more concerned with income than with building a credit history, so it was exactly what I wanted.

I’m sure the fact that you only want 15-16 hours/week is narrowing your pool of potential nannies, but that’s ok – it may just take a little longer to find the right fit in that case.

If you are willing to, you might add that you are open to “nanny share,” where you team up with another family and share the nanny and both pay her close to what you otherwise would.

Each family saves a bit, the children get more socializing, and the nanny makes a bit more than she otherwise would for the hours she works. It’s a win-win all around if you or she can find another family with same/similar hours. 

Post # 62
491 posts
Helper bee

Most people I know with nannies pay under the table. Especially if its only a few hours a week. We do, and we used an agency.

Post # 63
2243 posts
Buzzing bee

zanyapple :  I am sorry I don’t have better feedback, but in our area, from everyone we spoke with who has a nanny, everyone is paid under the table. We pay our nanny strictly cash too. I was also reading an article somewhere that 90-95% of the nannys nationwide are paid that way. I think it will be very hard to find someone who will want other arrangement…as “not by the book” as it is- that is just the industry.

Post # 64
509 posts
Busy bee

zanyapple :  Are you trying to hire on your own or through a nanny placement agency? If you want someone to be on the books, go through an agency. Sure, you may have to pay an agency fee, but that would solve the issue.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors