(Closed) 9 to 5-ers

posted 6 years ago in Career
  • poll: How long does it take you to get into work mode?
    No time at all, I get in and dig in! : (15 votes)
    16 %
    I little while, I do a few things and then I can focus on work : (55 votes)
    60 %
    More than a little while, but I eventually settle in and get to it : (16 votes)
    18 %
    Work?!?! Huh?!?! I thought I was at happy hour.... : (5 votes)
    5 %
  • Post # 3
    2638 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: November 2006

I check a few regular sites, talk with a few coworkers, get my coffee and then settle in to go through e-mails and get to the task at hand!

Post # 4
    Hostess
    16213 posts
    Honey Beekeeper

Most days, I need coffee and a few minutes to settle into the day. On Mondays, the fog in my mind takes a little longer to clear. 😉

Post # 5
    1029 posts
    Bumble bee

It depends on what’s going on at home. I know people say “Leave work at work and leave what happens at home at home” but if my SO and I just had a fight the night before, I’m not going to sunshine and roses right away. Unless I’m in a fantastic mood, it usually takes me about 30 minutes to get completely settled and motivated…longer if it’s Monday..

Post # 6
    13012 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: November 1999

I work 6-3 (plus whatever extra I need to do after…), so I’m a little earlier than this “regular” office hour thing, but I get in, make coffee, read the news, and then get down to the nitty-gritty.  I usually have CNN and MSNBC playing in the background throughout the day, too.

Post # 7
    5065 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: April 2014

I always have my coffee, chat with colleagues and then go to class before the students arrive.

Post # 8
    4313 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: November 1999

I do payroll for 200+ employees on Monday.  So I do not have a choice :/

Post # 9
    4416 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: June 2012

I always knock out a few tasks as soon as I get here, and then relax for a bit. I’m at my most productive BEFORE I’ve seen what exciting things the Internet has to offer that day!

Post # 10
    525 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: April 2014

I’m a 9-5er.  I usually get into work 20-15 minutes early and I think that helps me with being ready to jump right into it when the clock hits 9:00.  I have a routine where I get my coffee, water, check my e-mails, etc. just get ready for the day really.  Of course, I very rarely actually have work waiting for me.  So I more just find stuff to do until someone needs something done.

Post # 11
    2822 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: December 2012

I work 6:30am to 3pm, so typically I need my coffee, some breakfast(oatmeal & fruit) and then I can begin working.

Post # 12
    2183 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: November 2011 - Florida Aquarium

I’m 8-5(ish). And it depends. If I’ve got a lot on my plate (memos or publications to write), then I dive right in and aim to finish by 1. If I don’t have a lot going on, then I’ll do some random stuff and then get to my work whenever. August in DC is dead, so I’ve got literally nothing to do, and there’s only one other person in my office (an intern) today. …work is not getting done, and I intend to leave early.

Post # 13
    4693 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: October 2013

I’m a 7:30-4er!  I usually don’t get much done until around 10, but even starting that late I’m still done for the day around 3! When I’m busier I start getting stuff done earlier.

Post # 14
    1815 posts
    Buzzing bee

As soon as I get here I open up my emails to make sure nothing super important is waiting for me. While I’m waiting for the other programs I use to open up I make myself a glass of water, some oatmeal, and get out my chapstick/phone. Then I get to work!

ETA: I’m a 8-4’er. If we eat at our desk and worth through our lunch then we can leave 8 hours later.

Post # 15
    484 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: July 2010

I work 8a to 4p…and I do the same thing every morning 🙂 I come in and check my work e-mail, then I check Facebook and then I check my personal e-mail. I usually have some sort of caffeine to get me going too!

Post # 16
    13099 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: July 2010

@AnneTossy:  “As soon as I get here I open up my emails to make sure nothing super important is waiting for me.”

I’m the same way.  If there is nothing super important that needs worked on immeadiately, I semi-slowly get into my day.

The topic ‘9 to 5-ers’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors