(Closed) 925 silver vs 14 kg??

posted 3 years ago in Rings
Post # 2
3187 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2017

View original reply
motherbee33 :  I’m assuming that “14 kg” isn’t referring to kilograms 🙄. Do you mean 14 karat gold?

there are huge differences between silver and gold. Most notably the softness of the metal, and the propensity to tarnish. Sterling silver is much more malleable than 14k gold, and will bend or warp more easily. This can be of particular concern if your ring has precious stones in it that you don’t want to lose. Secondly, sterling silver tends to tarnish. It oxides quite readily, and your ring will need to be  cleaned with silver cleaner frequently to prevent this. Depending on what stone you have in your ring, this could be tricky as the silver cleaner might be too harsh on your stone and damage it. 

Post # 4
7806 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

If you are wearing something daily, silver will not tarnish. You will actually not need to clean it frequently, your body oil prevents the tarnish. If you wear it infreqnently, this may be an issue. Silver polish can def damage some stones. 

Gold is definitely the sturdier metal, but silver isn’t that much worse. It gets a bad wrap! Some people can’t wear white gold so will choose silver and still have very long lasting jewellery. 

Post # 5
239 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2019 - .

Silver is far too soft for a ring you’ll most likely want to wear daily for years and years to come. Go with gold, it might be more up front, but it’ll last for a whole lifetime of use.

Post # 6
213 posts
Helper bee

motherbee33 :  I don’t know about anyone else but I am fair active swimmer and salt water reeks havoc on my silver jewelry, which is why I prefer gold. I literally watched my silver band turn from shiny silver to black in a heated salt water pool. Now ofcourse you can always clean it but for me that would be cleaning once a week at best.

The other thing is gold seems to stand up to wear better, but maybe I am just really rough on jewelry. I basically never take my set off.

Last, there isn’t  that huge of a price difference in bands and rings. A silver 2mm band is like $10 on Amazon, while a gold 2mm band is about $40 depending on ring size. Which, either is pretty cheap. Granted you are asking about building something with a jeweler but my point is you likely won’t be lay that much more for a material that is sturdier in my opinion.

Post # 7
138 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2018

I wear a silver opal ring as a RHR for the past 18 months, never take it off and it looks exactly like I bought it. I do not clean it, at all besides wearing it while showering. I don’t see any difference in wear between it and my 14k white wedding set. I will say when I took one to a jeweler to get sized because I learned not everyone resizes them because it is harder for them to do because it is heated at a different temperature than gold. 

Post # 8
215 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: January 2018

View original reply
motherbee33 :  My e-ring and RHR is 925 Silver, I wear them everyday, I don’t take them off unless my fingers are swollen from working with my hands or the heat, and every few weeks I just give them a wash with a soft toothbrush and dish detergent. Been wearing both rings for over 2 years now, with no noticeable difference. 

Post # 9
297 posts
Helper bee

Honestly I’d say it depends how worried about your stone you are. Silver is much softer and less durable – so it puts the stone at higher risk. The jeweler I work with won’t actually set an engagement ring in 925 because of the risk to the stone

Post # 10
1482 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2005 - A Castle

Split the difference and go with 10k gold? 

Post # 11
3187 posts
Sugar bee

View original reply
jellybellynelly :  it actually really depends on your body chemisty and the geometry of the piece itself. i have a sterling silver necklace that doesnt tarnish if i wear it every day, but sterling silver rings with stones that do (primarly because the head of the setting isn’t actually in contact with my skin constantly – so the prongs, etc have a tendency to tarnish).

Post # 12
7806 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

View original reply
catskillsinjune :  I have one 925 ring with prongs that I wear almost daily and Ive never had any issues with it. Its just a common thing that people say “oh dont get silver, it tarnishes”, but not nearly as much as its made out to be. Silver is a great alternative imo, I wish people would give it more of a chance! 

Post # 13
3187 posts
Sugar bee

View original reply
jellybellynelly :  but it DOES tarnish, so no one is lying about that. and the amount that it tarishes will vastly vary from person to person. i’m glad you’ve had a good experience with your silver ring, but not everyone does and tarnishing is a real concern when it comes to silver. on the other hand, gold doesnt tarnish at all – so there’s a big gap there between something for which tarnishing isnt a concern and something that it may be a concern depending on your body and lifestyle. i think it’s similar to rhodium plating vs platinum. some peope dont have any issues with rhodium plating wearing away at all, some have major issues with it wearing away, but with platinum its a non-concern. same thing here – with gold, tarnishing is a non-concern. with silver, it’s a concern with a question mark as to how great of one.

Post # 14
7806 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

View original reply
catskillsinjune :  Damn you really seem to be keen on shitting on silver jewellery lol. I’m just trying to provide OP with the alternative perspective. Lots of people say sterling silver isnt suitable for nice jewellery but it absolutely is. This is so reminiscent of the diamond vs alternative conversation. “Well diamond is the hardest” Cool, sure, that doesnt mean that other materials aren’t still suitable. 

Post # 15
6213 posts
Bee Keeper

View original reply
motherbee33 :   i’ve had a silver engagement ring for almost four years and the wedding band for three. The only thing I’ve had to do is get the prongs tightened, which I understand needs to happen with gold is well. It’s been warped twice and bent back into shape in about three seconds by a jeweler for free. The details have not worn down and it only tarnished when it was around my neck and covered in sunscreen. I think people who don’t care for silver jewelry are a lot more likely to give you the cons without realizing they’re not as bad as it seems. I will admit, though, that I do not wear my rings unless I’m out in public, which probably does help with wear. 

I say get what you think looks best. I prefer the look of real silver to any other metal. 

The topic ‘925 silver vs 14 kg??’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors