925 silver vs 14 kg??

posted 1 year ago in Rings
Post # 16
122 posts
Blushing bee

Silver oxidises and you have to polish it every once and a while to make it look shiny. I always wear silver over gold it’s a personal preference.

Post # 17
3513 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2017

jellybellynelly :  whoa- i think you are really reading way too into this. i am not “shitting on silver jewelry” – i have a bunch of SS that i love and wear regularly (like the necklace that i mentioned before – i literally never take it off). And honestly, i don’t really wear gold. i have one pair of rose gold earrings, but my rings are platinum (and i dont have a diamond, either) so i think you’re really ascribing views to me that i don’t have. i was simply trying to give OP an objective view of what the difference is between gold and silver, and why silver is not frequently chosen for things like engagement rings – because fact is, it’s not. and there are reasons for that. does that mean silver rings are shit? of course not! i have lots of silvers rings that i love. but they take more care than a gold ring would. on the other hand, i feel like you’re really downplaying the potential downsides to silver jewelry (and here i’m emphaszing ‘potential’). it’s great that you’ve had a really good experience with it. but your experience is hardly the standard. the standard for SS runs the gammut – and so the potential for OP to be unhappy with the performance of SS comapred with gold is real.

Post # 19
2667 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2017

motherbee33 :  if your having it made and can choose your metal get 10k gold, it’s more affordable and more durable than 14k gold, and significantly more durable than silver.

Post # 21
2667 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2017

motherbee33 :  yes. I have a 10k gold right hand ring abd the color is the same as my 14k white gold engagement ring, as far as I can see anyhow

Post # 23
161 posts
Blushing bee

Yes, I think that you would regret this. I have had sterling silver rings and they accumulate many more scratches than gold at a rapid pace. Silver also needs to be polished. If you are getting a pearl or another soft gemstone, you may need to be very careful when polishing the silver so you don’t impact the stone. White gold is usually rodium plated which makes it so white and shiny. This will eventually wear and reveal a more warm white color with less shine. You can get jewelry replated if you want. 

Post # 24
868 posts
Busy bee

motherbee33 :  What is the price for each? Do you have any metal sensitivities? DO you plan to wear the ring often?

Post # 26
655 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2018

I recommend getting a silver ring and wearing it for a couple months to see how it acts for YOU.  Some people can wear silver forever with no problem others get tarnish almost immediately. Some love the silver tarnish look. I have a small textured ring that I used to wear every day. The indents turned black but the rest remained silver. For that style of ring I ordered that effect but I wouldn’t for my e-ring. It kind of depends what you like. It it softer and will confirm to the shape of your finger and you’ll need to get it checked more regularly. I had silver cz stand instead while I was waiting for my custom ring and the shelf life on them losing stones was about 3-4 month (which was about the time that czs were getting ruined too). I’ve had my gold e-ring for about 5 months and it’s immaculate but again it does depend on your body chemistry. The other thing to consider is when I had the silver one and I lost a stone the jeweler didn’t want to rebuild the prong because he said it wasn’t worth it. I was kinda pissed but it’s something you may have to deal with.

Post # 27
321 posts
Helper bee

I’d definitely go for 10k – when rhodium plated will look just like any other karat of white gold. I love my silver jewellery (some I never take off) but like someone else said, they scratch like crazy and will tarnish where not touching the skin (so around a gemstone, or in crevices). My main issue is the scratching, works for some jewellery but for a wedding or engagement ring it would drive me crazy. You can also rhodium plate silver though, not sure if that would help.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors