Post # 1
This is my first time being my friend’s Maid of Honor and after this experience i can say i never want to be one ever again.
1. The bride decides she wants us to order our dresses on etsy from hong kong. The dresses were reasonably priced but came with so many errors that all the bridesmaids need additional alterations to pretty much remake the dress to what it should be. Because i placed the order i’ve been attempting to contact the seller and she’s been either unreachable or not helpful in her responses. When i told the bride about this her response is “oh i’m sorry to hear that you’re having trouble, you can defintely email her a complaint.”
2. The bride wants to go on a trip for her bachelorette party. We decided on Saratoga springs because it’s nearby and for some reason everyone agreed on the place. The bride wants to do a spa, but no one else wants to do the spa. So i’m struggling to get a response from everyone.
3. I got demoted for being too honest about the bridesmaids dresses. The bride says “…but they [the other bridesmaids] would not tell me if they didnt like the dress” also telling her the date of her bridal shower.
4. The bride, without telling me, wanted a surprise bridal shower at a fancy restaurant. Her guest list was for 40 people. Some of the bridesmaids were unaware of the number of people on the guest list. No one has a place to offer for the shower. Since i was demoted i assume the other girls would look up restaurants or alternatives. All the restaurants found were fancy restaurants that are $30-40 per guest plus tax and gratuities. The bridesmaids did not want to spend more than 200 per bridesmaids. So everything is at a stand still.
Please tell me it gets better
Post # 3
It will get better when you drop out of that wedding. Your bride is acting very entitled and spoiled and she doesn’t appreciate your honesty. Let her and wedding go. No is not a bad word.
Post # 4
- Wedding: January 2013 - Harbourfront Grand Hall
@hermom: +1!!!!!! She does sound spoiled in the worst way.
Post # 5
What is the purpose of a “surprise” shower if she is the one requesting it? She sounds pretty spoiled, I can’t believe you got demoted just for expressing your opinion about the dresses. Good luck with everything, sounds like eyou’re going to need it!
Post # 6
You’ve lasted longer than I would have. I’d have punted myself from the wedding party after the bride either A. Demoted me, or B. informed me I was throwing her a surprise shower at a fancy restaurant with 40 guests.
Post # 7
LEAVE!! No one would blame you, tell her you have shingles, or narcolepsy, ANYTHING, just get out now!
Oh, and then slap her, 40 guests at a bridal shower? It’s not an appetizer for the wedding gifts, geez!
Post # 8
@kitty126: Um, I think it depends on the bride (I’m not making my girls do anything except for show up). You’re a saint compared to me, I probably would’ve smacked her several times already.
Post # 9
@housebee: I agree. I’m asking my maids for their opinions on dresses and might take them out to a nice spa day (paid for by me) as gifts, but that’s it. I’d leave the wedding party and not look back.
Post # 10
I’m sorry you need to deal with all of this. 🙁 Why do you have to organize anything at all anymore since you’ve been demoted? At this point, I would let the new Maid/Matron of Honor take over.
As for the bridal shower, you and the rest of the Bridal Party should let her know there isn’t the money for what she wants. Lord.
Post # 11
She’s being ridiculous. I don’t think it’s gonna get any better as the wedding gets closer =/ I think you should just peace out now. I would never be okay with being “demoted” ugh. I’m sorry you’re dealing with this =(
Post # 12
Sounds like your bride has some unrealistic expectations. I think some people get carried away in a fantasy land when they are planning their wedding. I’m guilty of it myself! If I were your friend, I would appreciate a reality check. Are you up for it? It might save a friendship and bring her back down to earth.