(Closed) A 2012 Labor Day Wedding!?

posted 7 years ago in September 2012
Post # 3
2 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I think there is always going to be pros and cons to any wedding date, youjust have to decide what you, ur groom and ur imediate family are happy with. I don’t think it is unreasable for that date because of the vacation factor, yes things will always be more expensive because its a holiday BUT guests can make it into a mini vaca for themselves too. hope that helps

Post # 4
899 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

Hi!

My Fiance and I thought about this date too, but ultimately – for us – we decided against it.

All your pros and cons are completely valid! Personally, I wouldn’t mind attending a wedding over the holiday weekend at all. I actually like the fact that a three day weekend makes it easier to travel. Although, in addition to peak prices for hotels – there will be peak prices for airfares and more traffic on the roads. (Not sure how far all your guests will have to travel).

That being said – I have a handful of friends that HATE weddings on holiday weekends (because they have to “waste” their three day weekend on a wedding). These friends are mostly men and not really into weddings, so I kind of get it.

Most people I know also have annual family get-togethers over Labor Day as a final hurrah to the summer and travel to their cabins up north (I’m in Wisconsin).

Ultimately, no you would not be selfish for having your wedding that weekend. There will be those that think you are being selfish BUT there will others (probably more) that will appreciate it.

Do whatever works best for you, your Fiance, and the people that matter to you most.

As far as flowers prices – Labor Day doesn’t seem like a big flower holiday to me but I don’t know. (Memorial day – yes, but not labor day.)

Post # 5
164 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

A lot of my FIs family are teachers, and my minster (who is my uncle) happened to suggest this weekend, which just worked.  Plus now he never has an excuse for forgetting our anniversary!

Post # 6
5670 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2010

I personally don’t think that many people go on vacation for Labor Day. It seems to be more BBQ’s and thinks like that. I think if you have a lot of guests from out of town a long weekend is perfect. Therefore it gives your guests an extra day for travel and maybe some time to relax. My friend is getting married this labor day and none of her costs were any more expensive. The only thing is that the Sunday night weddings are the same price as Saturday night since it’s a holiday. And for hotels, I’m sure you could get a hotel block somewhere so your guests could save a little bit of money. If it is what you and your Fiance wants then I say go for it, those who matter will be there no matter when you get married.

Post # 7
328 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

i think 3-day weekends are very popular for weddings, especially labor day. I know lots of people who were married on the holiday. Pro: You’ll always have a holiday for your anniversary! Con: People may be multiple-booked for labor day weddings, so may not be able to attend yours.

Overall, I think if you feel strongly about it, just go for it!

Post # 8
1844 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

A few years ago, a cousin of mine got married over the Labor Day holiday. It was out of town (less than an hour flight, or about a 5 hour drive) in a big city (Chicago). Honestly, I was a big fan of this. There were many out of town guests, so traveling was a factor. I really liked that they had the wedding on a Saturday, we came home on a Sunday, and I still had Monday to recover and get my bearings ready for the week. I still felt like I had a decent weekend, even with traveling.

Those are just my thoughts, though :-).

Post # 9
515 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2011 - Clark Gardens

Fiance and I spend Labor Day with his family every single year. They always host a big party for the whole family and friends. It is something we look forward to going to every year. There is a wedding coming up next year for some friends of ours on Labor Day weekend and we already know we won’t be in attendance because we don’t want to miss his family’s party. It is a yearly tradition.

I’m in the anti-holiday wedding camp, if you can’t tell. I don’t want to dictate how others choose to spend their holiday. That outweighs all of the other “pros” in my opinion.

Post # 10
19 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: September 2012

My Fiance and I just decided to have our wedding on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend…  by just, I mean that I signed the contract and mailed the deposit this afternoon.

Our decision was helped along by the fact that it was the only remaining Saturday for our venue’s 2012 wedding season.  So, I didn’t really have too much time to debate the pros and cons of a holiday weekend.  Mostly, I think it will be helpful for us because 100% of his family is from out of town.  Plus, that’s one less vacation day I’ll have to take for our honeymoon.

Post # 11
927 posts
Busy bee

We chose to have our wedding over Labour Day weekend, but we’re getting married on Sept 2, 2012. We figured it was more likely people wouldn’t have to miss work to come to our wedding. I don’t think many people travel over Labour Day weekend, because school starts on the Tuesday so most people I know who have kids are getting ready for school. Hotels can be expensive but book early. That’s our plan at least!

Post # 12
40 posts
Newbee

My wedding is also on LD weekend, but we are going to a much smaller area for ours. There is still a beach, but the city is small so even when it’s packed with tourists, it’s still not that bad. I am not a fan of holiday weddings, but when we looked at venues (in freaking JUNE) it was the ONLY date available before the end of October at our venue. And we’re getting married in Erie, PA – so by the end of October there could be snow everywhere and we did not want people to have to miss it for snow (and I only wish I was joking… but spending 20 years there has made me skeptical, lol). So we were in this same perdicament, too.

As a VA Beach/Chesapeake resident, I can tell you that the prices here are exhorbitant over that weekend because it’s the last weekend of the season.  Have you thought about moving it to the next weekend? Rates go down by so much between those two that if you haven’t already booked, you can think about it.

I don’t think you’re being selfish. I think that if people love you and want to see you on the biggerst day of your life, that they will have no problem coming and spending the day with you.  if they have a problem with it, well, it’s one less dinner you have to pay for. 🙂

That may have sounded mean, but I don’t mean it too. Sometimes the internet makes thinkgs sound feisty. 🙂

GOOD LUCK!

Post # 13
3 posts
Wannabee

I’m getting married on labor day weekend too! I say go for it!

Post # 14
6247 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 1900

Wooo! What up Labor Day weekend twins?  🙂

Post # 15
80 posts
Worker bee

My guest list is about 90% out of town in this economy I didn’t want people missing work more importantly though is that my younger brother is in ROTC and does training over the summer he could not give me an exact date for his summer training until after April of 2011 way to late to book a wedding. I will not get married with out him there so I am getting married on the only weekend he could guarantee that he will be home.

I guess I figure that I have done a lot for my friends and family if their Labor weekend plans are more important than my wedding than so be it the day works for our immediate family and that is who matters

Post # 16
3 posts
Wannabee

I agree, there are a lot of pros and cons about a long weekend wedding.

My fiance’s family is from another province (Saskatchewan) and mine is from another province yet (Ontario), and we’re getting married in Alberta, where we live now. For us, it was about getting people together before school was back in in September, and the long weekend was a huge pro in getting people out here (namely because most people do have that extra day off).

Like @dinajean said, those who love us and want to be here for us will be. Anyone who doesn’t want to spoil long weekend plans only helps us weed out the guest list.

The topic ‘A 2012 Labor Day Wedding!?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors