(Closed) A DIY "1950s" "Rockabilly" "Pinup" Wedding with a $1,500.00 budget

posted 6 years ago in Themes
Post # 2
2263 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

What you listed is likley the cheap parts.  Food/location are always going to be your big expenses.   For those, keep your guest list small, find a time of the day that means you don’t have to serve a full meal (for example, a wedding at 2:00, reception start at 3, wrap up by 5:30, so you aren’t having a full meal time) and do cake and punch. 

“Will you be my bridesmaid/groomsmen” gifts are very pinterest-y, and not necessary.  I didn’t do them and I dont have your budget constrains.  If you really feel like you aboslutly need to, I would go with something homemade.  Better yet, cutting bridal party saves money.  You need to get them a gift for being in the ceremony, but not one to ask them to be in your bridal party.

For decore, I would look at estate sales/consignment shops ect. for old records that were not popular (they are usually very cheap if it is a now unknown artist)   There are tons of record based decore ideas.  I would also look at a a public park/garden with low rental cost, but great scenery for your wedding so your decorating is minimum.  A friend got married at an ampetheter in a park and the rental cost was $300.  SIL got married on the steps of our capital building and that was free. 

Attire I would look at Modcloth for you.  They have a lot of dresses in an appropriate style that are a lot cheaper than bridal stores.  Have your Fiance (assuming male) wear slacks, suspenders, and a button down.  Vest and hat optional if he has them on hand.

Post # 5
1157 posts
Bumble bee

Oohhh… can you rent a jukebox for music? I don’t know if you can, but that would be a really theme appropriate alternative to a DJ.

Post # 6
1253 posts
Bumble bee

View original reply
sbaire:  How many people are you having? Who will be grilling the burgers and hot dogs? I went to a wedding where they had grilled chicken sandwiches and burgers – all food done by family. Great way to save money, but if there is no one cooking that morning/during the ceremony you’ll have a lot of very hungry guests as Uncle Chuck is using a small grill that fits enough for only 5 people at a time…

Also, lets say 50% of your budget is for the food/reception- $750 can get eaten up quickly between cake, food, drinks etc. It might be easier to stretch your budget by doing afternoon apps like pigs in a blanket or mini sliders.

Post # 7
113 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

I DIYd my birdcage bc I couldn’t find ANYTHING like what I had in my head! I don’t remember the exact cost BUT it was… really cheap! Like under $20 cheap!

Post # 10
645 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

Will you be my attendant things are lame and certainly a waste of money if you are on a $1500 budget. Feed and host your guests and skip the bullshit.

Post # 11
3108 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

How many guests?

Post # 12
1221 posts
Bumble bee

You are going to pre-make hamburgers and hot dogs and french fries? How are you going to keep those warm and serve them at an appropriate temperature? What about all the condiments? Who is going to make sure those are kept full and cold? Fries are typically fried to order, that’s why you don’t see them in buffets very often. Premaking french fries sounds like a disaster, sorry!

You might want to look into a food truck if you want that kind of food. They have all the equipment and can cook/store/serve meat properly. 

I agree with everyone else that if your budget is truly $1500, spend it on food/drinks, not anything else. No one will care what your centerpieces are, but they will care if you serve them a cold, possibly contaminated burger.

Post # 15
1221 posts
Bumble bee

How many people are you hosting? Asking people to cook your food for your wedding is not the best idea, no offense. If someone volunteers, great, I guess. But honestly, cooking for a large group of people, especially outside, ESPECIALLY premade stuff, gets kind of hairy. I worked in catering for five years, I promise I know what I am talking about. And again, the food you are talking about – hamburgers, hot dogs, french fries – are cooked to order so that they maintain the proper temperature. You don’t typically eat hamburgers that have been cooked hours before, even at fast food restaurants. And those places have food warmers, will you have those? 

Again, if you are allocating your budget right now, I would look into having a local restaurant or food truck cater it. And that is where I would spend all of my $1500.

The topic ‘A DIY "1950s" "Rockabilly" "Pinup" Wedding with a $1,500.00 budget’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors