I think if you only have 14 days, fitting Spain, Italy and Greece in might be a bit tough.
How about chosing Portugal over Greece?
But you’d have to fly to Portugal nonetheless – so maybe it doesn’t make a whole lot of difference.
What time of year do you plan on going? how do you guys handle the heat? mid-July / August / September can get quite hot in Spain and Greece.
Spain: I have only been to Barcelona but it’s amazing. It’s such a great place – i loved the architecture by Gaudi like
– the sagrada Familia
– and especially the park Güell that you can enter for free http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Park_G%C3%BCell
There is so much to see and do there (La Rambla http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Rambla,_Barcelona, ….) and it’s right on the beach.
Italy: In my opinion Venice is quite overrated. I didn’t really like it all that much. Just a maze of streets and alleyways, and way too many pigeons 😛
I like Rome a lot better, it has so much history (Colosseum, Forum Romanum…) and character.
Accessible from Rome would be for example
– Florence / Firence (also a really great and interesting place; lots of art there like Michaelangelo’s David http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_(Michelangelo)) ; going there you could also pay the leaning tower of Pisa a visit
– and the area around Naples (Naples is not nice in my opinion, but the area around is): you have Mount Vesuvius http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vesuvius there and the ancient city of Pompeii http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pompeii and beautiful Sorrento and fancy Capri island; that area is really, really beautiful
(Other places in italy i like but that aren’t that close to Rome:
– Lago Di Garda
– Finale Ligure
on this thread i tell a little more how great i think italy is: http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/backpacking-italy#axzz2roFAOQhD)
Greece: I haven’t been to Santorin, but i’ve been to
– Crete -> really beautiful, quite different places to visit (beach, gorges, historic places, fun places to go out in Iraklio…) ; good food
– Rhodes -> really beautiful as well; the medival town of Rhodes is amazing; the island is smaller than Crete thus maybe more interesting for a short visit, it has beautiful nature, intersting historic things and nice beaches; good food
– Cyprus (I know, it’s its own Republic; but it shares a lot of history / food / culture with Greece) it’s quite interesting of an island as well (nature- and historywise); make sure not to stay in Larnaca or Agia Napa because that’s just sooo crowded (unless that’s how you like it); good food