Post # 1
1. Is it wierd for me not have it bee the same colors as my wedding (apple red, white with black and white damask)? I’m going for pink, lavender and white I think.
2. Is it wierd to do a bridal shower registry? I”m kinda thinking that I don’t want wedding gifts at my bridal shower. I would so much rather get gifts like lingerie and body lotion.
Post # 3
1) I dont think its weird at all to do different colors – the shower is totally separate so do whatever you want!
2) I cant really say about a bridal registry – maybe you could just talk to your Maid/Matron of Honor and BMs and tell them what you want. I dont even know if something like that exists. I think thats whats called a “personal” shower. I dont think there is anything wrong with it you just need to make it known that that is what you want!
Post # 4
I actually think it’s a good idea to have different themes or colors for your shower.
Post # 5
@ clarebee…at most stores with registries, you can make registeries for just about anything. There’s usually a part where they ask what the registry is for if it’s not specifically for a wedding or a baby shower.
@ jessica…thanx hun! Pink is my fav color and I’m not incorporating it in the wedding so darn it I’m gonna have it somewhere. Lol.
Post # 6
@msmonicka, a bridal registry is typically known as a wedding registry, they’re the same thing. I just wanted to throw out there that you could just have a lingerie shower (google it–there are some cute ones!) or save it for the bachelorette.
Typically, if you have a “standard” bridal shower, it’s receiving gifts for your new home, like the kitchen stuff and bedding and towels and whatnot. 🙂
Post # 7
The bridal shower’s purpose is to receive gifts off the wedding registry. I don’t think the BMs usually worry about matching the colors of the shower to the wedding.
However, I’ve heard of BMs choosing to throw a separate lingerie shower for the bride. The guest list to that one is usually more selective – you might not want grandma to come to that one. 🙂
Post # 8
1.) I don’t think it would be weird to use different colors for your bridal shower than your wedding after all they are two separate parties.
2.) I think most people already know that bridal showers are to give the bride something sexy for the honey moon or even for the rest of the nights that will follow after your married. I went to a bridal shower and their was no gifting of pots and pans. It was pure pjs and lingerie.
Post # 10
I have never seen lingerie given at a bridal shower only given at a lingerie shower. Let the host know which you prefer. They will title the shower by the correct name and that will let people know what to bring. I haven’t ever seen anyone register for lingerie. I have only seen the bride’s sizes listed on the invitation.
Post # 12
1) I think it is TOTALLY fine to have different colors…I am 🙂
2) I agree with a lot of other replies…talk to the shower host about your wishes…maybe make it part of the theme or something! I haven’t ever seen lingerie at a bridal shower, only at bachelorette or lingerie showers
Post # 13
I agree that you should do whatever colors you want for the shower – I know I’m getting tired of my wedding colors so it’d be fun to play with a different color scheme! If you prefer a “personal” shower instead of a “household” or standard shower, just communicate that to your BMs (or whoever is throwing the shower) and they can make sure to communicate that to your guests.
Post # 14
My Bridal Shower colors won’t be the same as my wedding colors either. It makes it more fun and you can play around with different colors for a change.
I have asked for a Lingerie Party as one of my showers. I don’t really want bridal gifts at all of them either.
Post # 15
Ditto some of the other PPs…just let your BMs know what kind of gifts you’d like & where you’re registered for those gifts. Since the shower invite is coming from someone OTHER than the bride, it’s within etiquette to mention the registry on THAT invite & it could be your “lingerie” registry if you like.
I think more recently, BMs (and brides) have become “creative” with the traditional shower. I’ve been to one that was themed for the honeymoon – the invites, colors, & decorations were themed to the location – & the gift info assigned each guest an allotted time during the day (i.e. I got 9 pm to midnight; my other friend got noon to 3pm) & we were supposed to get the bride something she & the groom could use at that time of day during their honeymoon. I of course bought sexy lingerie, but my friend bought them museum tix & a gift card to a restaurant in the location of the honeymoon. One of my BMs bridal shower was a lingerie party (and grandma WAS invited)…it was funny to see what different friends & members of the family bought her (grandma actually got her a cute baby doll night gown, while one of the BMs bought her a thick warm robe & slippers).
So, long story, well…LONG, I think your BMs could make your shower whatever you want it to be…maybe make it cute & fun by theming it (rather than just asking for gifts of a certain genre).
Post # 16
1) I think it’s totally fine to have a seperate color scheme for your shower. Especially if the shower is during the day and your wedding will be at night or something like that. The shower is your chance to be more fun and less formal.
2) You can definitely have a different registry for the shower. Some people do themed showers, like a kitchen shower or something like that. I had a lingerie shower and I didn’t want to put lingerie on the registry everyone sees (obviously), so I just made a second registry on myregistry.com and made sure I put a password on this one! Just let whoever is throwing your shower know so that they can tell people which registry to look at.