(Closed) Abnormal PAP

posted 8 years ago in Wellness
Post # 3
Hostess
18637 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

I don’t think it’s uncommon to have an abnormal pap.  I had one too.  They can be caused by having sex before the test or recently stopping your period.  I think they are just trying to be careful in getting it tested again.

Post # 4
Member
4001 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

It could be a number of really minor things, so try not to stress yourself out.  I hope that’s the case, keep us posted! 

Post # 6
Member
2856 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

Yes, try not to stress yourself out at least until you know what the results really mean. It could be something minor. I know it is hard because I drive myself batty before I even get a pap done, hoping they find nothing.

Post # 7
Member
4001 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

I had that happen a few years ago, I thought about all the things it could be.  But when I went back- it was literally nothing at all.  

Post # 8
Member
695 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

Like other bees have said, it could be so many different things, 99% of which are nothing to worry about. I know it’s hard to stay calm, but try not to worry too much. They’ll do HPV screening and ask you to do a repeat pap in 6 mos or so, and I’m sure you’ll be fine. False positives happen SOOO often. I know it’s scary and unsettling, but hang in there 🙂

Post # 9
Member
1110 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2009

I can speak from experience too. I tested abnormal about 3 times, I even had to get my cervix clipped (a tiny bit) for further testing & everything was fine. This year I FINALLY tested normal AGAIN! I will still do a yearly exam for a couple years just to be safe.

Try not to freak out and stay away from google, I know I did and I know I probably made myself sick!

Post # 11
Member
11325 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 2011

Deep breaths! I know how scary it can be bc that happened to me too, and the first thing I thought was OMG CERVICAL CANCER. And then I went and saw the doc and she made me feel soooooo much better. There is a a wide range between normal and cancer. THIS is why we do screenings every year. 70% (ish) of abnormal cells will return to normal within 18 mo or something (i think she said… this was a few years ago). The other 30% will either stay abnormal but nothing to worry about, or will progress to more abnormal… but it would take a loong time for abnormal to become cancer and that is why they monitor you. If the cells start moving in the wrong direction, they take them out and you’re fine. I had 2 abnormal pap, and now i’ve had 3 normal ones. It happens to SO many girls and as long as you keep up screenings it really isn’t anything to worry about. 🙂

Post # 12
Member
536 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I have them all the time!  My OBGYN told me its not uncommon to have abnormal paps.  And once you have one abnormal one they usually all end up like that.  I wouldn’t worry about it..I am sure you will be fine:)

Post # 13
Member
2007 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

Yeah, definitely don’t worry about it too much.  I had 2 or 3 abnormals in a row, which they attributed being most likely caused by HPV, and so went through a colposcopy and biopsy.  I had a minor breakdown (“I’m not that kind of girl”, “I haven’t slept around”, “how the eff did I get that?!”, felt really dirty, etc, etc.) and then realized it’s a lot more common than people talk about, unfortunately.  I thought it was a life sentence but it’s not.  I had a normal pap and a negative test (well worth the extra $40 for the peace of mind!) this last time. 

And even my story is a little less common.  Most likely it was some little blip that caused it to come up as abnormal even though nothing is wrong.

Post # 15
Member
204 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

I’m in the same boat as @caitlanc. I’ve had both colposcopies and biopsies due to HPV. Don’t worry! It doesn’t mean something’s wrong or wrong with you!

I always fear that’s I’m not going to have and cervix left by the time they are finished down there!!!! But I’ve been assured that it’s just a tiny little pluck and everything is fine and whole!!!

Post # 16
Member
3162 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I second CorgiTales. As someone who has been through this and had things turn out on the badder side of things, even then – yeah it SUCKS, but it’s not the end of the world. The bad thing would be not getting screened/taking care of things early. Just keep following up. Like other bees have said, an abnormal pap does not necessarily mean anything is actually wrong.

The topic ‘Abnormal PAP’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors