(Closed) Ack!!! Somebody wants my photographer!

posted 9 years ago in Photos/Videos
  • poll: Favorite photographer is about to be booked by somebody else...
    Pay the deposit and live off Ramen for the rest of the month... : (16 votes)
    47 %
    Wait and see what happens, if it's meant to be she'll be free in September. : (14 votes)
    41 %
    Wait and go with another photographer after you have your planning day at the end of September. : (4 votes)
    12 %
  • Post # 4
    955 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: May 2010

    Wedding planning is stressful huh? I think that it would be best to not put all of that extra stress on yourself and just wait a little bit before putting down the deposit. You shouldn’t feel rushed into doing anything that you aren’t ready to do. And…maybe she is just saying that someone else is interested to get you to get your deposit sooner? Good luck!!!

    Post # 5
    563 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: August 2009

    I think you need to meet with the photographer as soon as possible.  Your in-person chemistry is really important, as is your need to look at albums of her work.  You need to view complete albums, not individual pictures, since even a mediocre photographer can occasionally take a good picture.  I would email her back to demonstrate that you are serious, and set up an appointment as soon as possible.  Also, she might be amenable to splitting the deposit and taking half the deposit now, and half next month when you were planning on paying her.  And yes, as the above poster noted, vendors do sometimes push you into putting down deposits by claiming that others are interested.  It’s a tough risk to take, since they might be telling you the truth and you might lose the vendor (my SIL lost her dream photographer after she needed to reschedule their meeting).

    Post # 6
    385 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2010

    Have you talked to them on the phone?  I’ve only been able to do that, since I’m planning long distance, but I gelled really well with my photographer, and I’m thrilled to book her, even without meeting her. 

    Also, is it possible to make an exception this once with your credit cards?  I hate to even suggest that, but it is an exceptional situation.  If that’s really not an option, I say eat ramen.  The photos are more important, or would be to me.  Smile 

    Post # 7
    233 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2010

    Here’s the thing, when I was looking for a photographer, I judged their website before their photos. Sounds weird, but if they have a simple HTML website, their photos didn’t turn out to be as good or as “popular” About the photobooth, I have found A LOT of DJ’s that can do the photobooth, for what it sounds like, cheaper than your photographer. If you’re already feeling rushed and uncomfortable about this, maybe you should have a little faith and just breathe.

    We’re not even having a photographer at our reception so maybe that could cut back on costs too (we’re having friends with decent cameras go around and snap photos – that way you don’t need to worry about copy right and do what you want to them).


    Good luck and remember to breathe!

    Post # 8
    7082 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: July 2009

    Well… it seems like someone is just asking about your date and not definitively booking it.

    I know that some people use this technique as a way of putting pressure on potential clients to close a deal.  I think you have the right and responsibility (to yourselves) to see who gels best with you and who will bring out the best of your personalities in photos.

    I’ve also found that the few wedding decisions I’ve rushed into (chalkboards!) left me repenting in leisure… so I’m a big fan of no sudden moves (unless they were extrordinarily well researched, thought out, pro and con list made, etc).

    What does your gut feeling tell you about this decision?

    Post # 10
    19 posts
    • Wedding: January 2015

    Definitely at least talk over the phone with her first…it is extremely important that you’re comfortable with them. If it seems solid after that, perhaps book then. Can you get together with the other three photographers now? If you really feel the first is for you, and you were planning on booking at the end of September – then using the card would make sense to lock in what’s best for you….we’re only a few very short weeks away – so then use the money then to pay it off. Of course the photog could be trying to push things along, much in the way the venue could by having preferred photogs as well. If you’re planning on booking soon anyway, just do your phone, or meeting when possible homework, then decide. Definitely don’t feel rushed though…

    Post # 11
    1205 posts
    Bumble bee

    IF this is <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>absolutely the photog you want:

    Could you work out a deal?  Explain you really want the date, give maybe half the deposit instead – as a good faith gesture?  Then maybe you can live off mac-n-cheese instead of ramen and pay the other half of the deposit as planned?

    Post # 12
    2725 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: September 2009

    Could you maybe pay the deposit in installments? $500 one week, $500 two weeks later, and then $500 in September? If your photographer is willing to do that, then you won’t feel the big crunch all at once.

    Post # 13
    14186 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2009

    I was going to say, what if you signed on to do installments? I thought that was pretty normal?

    Post # 14
    162 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: September 2009 - The 19th Century Club

    From the perspective of someone who lives with a wedding photographer, they kind of have to work this way. They get inquiries all the time (especially about popular dates during peak season!) and when they have your date on “hold” while you think it over, if they get another inquiry they give you first dibs. If you don’t book then they need to keep their options open and meet with another prospective client. I know from the bride’s perspective it kind of sucks, but from the vendor’s point of view, he or she often has really excited prospective clients who often end up not booking for one reason or another. They need to be meeting with clients in order to book up those dates.

    This happens to Mr. S a lot and no matter how much he may or may like someone he has met with, if he gets another inquiry for a date being held, he has to move forward with the next person if the initial person for that date can’t/won’t book at that time. It’s business.

    It doesn’t sound like your photographer is doing anything out of the ordinary, but if you don’t feel comfortable or ready to make that decision, just chance it. If she ends up getting booked, then it wasn’t mean to be. And in a month when you’re ready to put that deposit down if she’s still available, then that’s great. Either way, you would have made the decision that was right for you at this time!

    Post # 15
    51 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: May 2010

    Kate, if you are getting married in Seaside, Fl…I am using a great photographer out of Pensacola, who is less expensive(including travel to Mobile). This is her website:


    I have lost a few vendors so far and oh well, I guess it wasn’t meant to be. Maybe you will find someone better and less expensive???

    Post # 16
    599 posts
    Busy bee

    Do you definitely know you want this photographer? If so pay the deposit. Live off ramen. Your pictures will be with you forever but you will only have to skimp for one month.

    The topic ‘Ack!!! Somebody wants my photographer!’ is closed to new replies.

    Find Amazing Vendors