(Closed) Adapting 1950's housewife rules to modern times.

posted 6 years ago in Relationships
Post # 3
9917 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2013

It seems that the updates are just…the same sentiments in different language.

1950’s version: “Don’t ask him questions about his actions or question his judgment or integrity. Remember, he is the master of the house and as such will always exercise his will with fairness and truthfulness. You have no right to question him.”

2012 interpretation: “Get over it.”

How is this any better than “you have no right to question him”??

Post # 4
5786 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2011

@peachacid:  I don’t think thats necessarily bad advice. Nagging/Dwelling on minor bs is a waste of time.

Post # 5
9917 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

@LGenz:  Sure, but that’s good advice for everyone, not just women.  It’s like the woman has to behave a certain way or the guy will dump her…

Post # 7
9654 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: April 2019

That is hilarious, I love the putting up with wedgies one 

Post # 8
9917 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

@HelleCat:  I understand that, but I think it carries the same sentiment: women need to behave a certain way or men won’t like them.  

Post # 9
10453 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 2014

Hahaha I loved that 50s article. So funny! 

Post # 10
2587 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2014 - UK

My FH loved this one:

1950’s version: “Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him. His boring day may need a lift and one of your duties is to provide it.”

2012 interpretation: “Make out with chicks in front of him.”

Post # 11
462 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

@peachacid:  I honestly think it’s meant to say, “Listen. Nobody is going to be perfect. You just can’t be. Be you. You’re awesome and hilarious and sexy and that’s why your man likes you.” I think it’s almost a call to be yourself more than a “Be this exact way or no man will love you.”

Post # 13
10714 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2012

I would have never survived back then. Now I understand my grandmother a little bit better though. I guess I’m lucky to have my Darling Husband now too lol.

Post # 14
945 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

Haha, I loved the one about not taking a poo in front of him, trying so hard not to bust out laughing at work!

Post # 15
1465 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

Thanks it made my morning…LMAO

Post # 16
3220 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2012

@peachacid:  of course it’s satirical! another one says “And unless you’re proposing he judge a cat-face pubes comp between you and whore friend Karen, he’s not listening anyway.” 

Yes, we all have caring partners who actually listen to us, and we all know women’s rights is an ongoing, unfinished process.  No, all men aren’t dolts who just stare into space and think about sex and beer.  This article plays on stereotypes to make humor. I do literature and media studies for a living, I know humor is a statement on society and sure, maybe this girl is still interacting with the patriarchy and doesn’t truly value herself or whatever underlying anti-feminist message you want to pull from this, but if you want to be offended, you’re going to be offended by everything.  

The topic ‘Adapting 1950's housewife rules to modern times.’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors