(Closed) Address Etiquette

posted 10 years ago in Etiquette
Post # 3
1 posts

Mr. Bradley and Dr. Karen Smith if they use the same last name

 If different last names:

Mr. Bradley Smith and Dr. Karen Jones-Smith

You spell out Doctor on your Wedding Invitation, say if your father, or mother, or you or the groom are a Doctor.  Sames goes for Reverend…you spell it out on the Invitation itself.

But when addressing invitations, the abbreviations are used.

Hope this helps!


Penny, Invitation consultant http://www.quaintweddingstationery.com


Post # 4
1061 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2008

I actually used the abbreviation on the invitation (*gasp!*). It looked weird to me to spell out "Doctor" for both of my parents (not to mention it made the line SUPER long) but to keep "Mr. and Mrs." for his parents (and I definitely wasn’t about to spell that out!).

Post # 5
429 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 2008

Huh, I hadn’t even thought about that.. FI’s dad is a PhD, but everyone else is a Mr. or Mrs… can I do Doctor and Mrs. Juan Malarky (not their real name) or does it have to be Doctor and Missus? Or Mistress? How do you spell out Mrs. anyway?

Maybe I’ll just skip it all and put Juan and Jane Malarky…

Post # 6
2292 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2008

You use Dr. as a title only for a medical doctor, not for a PhD.  If you want to recognize the education of a PhD, the correct way is to include the initials PhD after the name (Mr. Juan Malarky, PhD)  However, there is no reason to do that on a wedding invitation unless you are going to recognize everybody else’s professional qualifications (PE, CHP, where would it end?) Quaint is correct, you do not spell out "Doctor" unless you are also going to spell out "Mister."

The topic ‘Address Etiquette’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors