(Closed) address invitations to engaged couples?

posted 9 years ago in Etiquette
Post # 3
357 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

If only one of them was my friend, I would only invite my friend.  But I would probably use the soon-to-be spouse’s name on the inside envelope instead of just “Friend and Guest”

That may not be right, though!

Post # 4
10218 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 2010

I’d put Mr. XYZ and Miss ABC to acknowledge their relationship…

Post # 5
1205 posts
Bumble bee

I think you can  address the invite to the one who is your friend with the other person’s name as well..

Outer:  Mr. John Smith & Miss Jane Doe

or Outer:  Mr. John Smith

(Inner)  John and Jane

Post # 6
2681 posts
Sugar bee

If you are not doing inner envelopes and they dont live together, I would still put both of their names on the envelope to avoid confusion.

Post # 7
521 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2009

I think it’s:

John Smith
Jane Doe

Post # 8
1020 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

The question still remains as to where an invite like this should be sent since they don’t live together. What if you’re friend with both people, but want to invite them together to acknowledge their engagement?

Post # 9
8 posts
  • Wedding: November 2009

I would say send an invite to your friend, and on the inner envelope address it Jane and John.

If I were in the situation were I’m friends with both people and they don’t live together, but are engaged, then I would send them each an invite. And on the inner envelope put both parties names on them.

Post # 10
7174 posts
Busy Beekeeper

If you are friends with them equally (and they live separately), they’d each get their own invitation.

If you are closer to one over the other, then send the invitation to the one you are closer and address as Querida noted above (ie: put both of their names on the mailing (first and last) and then both their first names on the inner).

You don’t need to do anything special because they are engaged – they know you know 😉

In the case of the never-met-before fiance, if you know their name, then do it per the rules above – and if you don’t, you could be ‘cute’ about it and address the outer envelope to your friend and on the inner envelope say “Jane and the soon to be Mr.”  or “John and the soon to be Mrs.)


Post # 11
2022 posts
Buzzing bee

I would say both names on the outer envelope – that’s what we did even for couples who were not engaged but who have been together a while or live together.

Post # 12
256 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

I think you should address it Mr. Machin and Miss Chose 400 rue street, etc city….

Even if they don’t live together if they are engaged and will be married soon I’m sure Mr. Machin will let Miss Chose know that they received an invite at his address and vice versa.

Post # 13
4480 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: March 2010 - Calamigos Ranch

Address the envelope to both of them, under the names that they have at the time you send invitations, and mail it to the person who you are close to.

Post # 14
16 posts
  • Wedding: June 2009

Marigold has it right.  And yes, you have to invite the soon-to-be-spouse. Once a couple is engaged they are officially a package deal! 🙂  We got an extra guest that way!

The topic ‘address invitations to engaged couples?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors